Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Missing jpegs in folder

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 rocwilder35

rocwilder35

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:36 AM

Posted 22 April 2013 - 05:41 AM

I have a folder that 1,181 files of jpegs in it. However 888 are showing up. When i alphabetize them a-p show up. They are not deleted because i can see them in preview if i attempt to upload files from that folder. Wheni change a file name that had began with a z to one that began with an m  it showed up. It is like there is some weird formula  not allowing any file named with any letter after p to show up and I dont have a clue why. I dont want to have to manually rename all of them can someone help?

BTW: I downloaded a program called Bulk rename utility that i dont know how to use well. I am not sure if that could have anything to do with it. Please someone tell me.

Edited by rocwilder35, 22 April 2013 - 06:19 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:36 AM

Posted 22 April 2013 - 04:12 PM

Bulk Rename Utility...is easy to use, I use it routinely :).

Left side of screen reflects files/folders.

You just select the folder that you want to list contents of...then determine what you want to change and how.  Then select all the files.

There are several columns in the bottom third of the window...that is where you adjust the files selected.

I elect to:

a.  First delete the file names...by adjusting the number of characters in the name that I want to delete.  I generally use 50 for possibly long filenames.

b.  Then I go over to the Add column and insert whatever I want as characters in the filename.  If I use "Pic", I type in "Pic".

c.  I then skip over to the Numbering column...type in "100" if my items don't exceed 100-999...type in "1000" if I have more than 999 items to rename.

Pressing the Rename button in the lower right corner...does it.

Louis

#3 rocwilder35

rocwilder35
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2013 - 02:46 AM

I think i might have been messing with Bulk utility which is what caused this. I had that folder open at the time and I think I put something random into the boxes jsut to test it out. I noticed like 2 hours later what I am describing. I have unhidden all files etc and they wont show up. Once again they are not deleted in the typical sense because if I am uploading photos to facebook I can see all of them from  the web just not when I open the original folder. If it is something I did wrong in Bulk utility how do I undo it?

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,377 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2013 - 03:15 PM

Well...what I would do is use a tool like Everything Search Engine - http://www.voidtools.com/ .

I've never had Bulk Rename change file extensions, so you can use that as your search string in Everything.

On the top line/window of Everything, type *.jpg and it will reflect every .jpg it finds on the system...anywhere.  You can look at the file paths reflected and order them by file path...by clicking the heading for the field in the returned results.

Any questionable items...you can select them while in Everything...and then move them to a newly-created folder, for isolation/examination.

Don't select obvious .jpg images associated with programs or Windows.

Ultimately...you can then use BRU to rename the images.

Louis

#5 rocwilder35

rocwilder35
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2013 - 02:23 AM

I found everything!!!!!!! You are a genius my friend!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Still dunno y it did that.

Can you explain now how to use Bulk rename? For example lets pretend I wanted to add a word or phrase in front of a bunch of files but keeping the previous name how would i do it. EX. file a is Jenny goes walking. jpeg file b is Jenny taking the dog back in.jpeg and i wanted to add Nov 15 2012 to both so file a would be Nov 15 2012 Jenny goes walking.jpeg and file b becomes Nov 15 2012 Jenny taking the dog back in.jpeg

#6 rocwilder35

rocwilder35
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2013 - 02:32 AM

one more thing.....

This is slightly unrelated but is there any way to store photos online that allow you to keep the date modified order in windows?

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,377 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2013 - 10:02 AM

Glad things worked out for you :).

Re Bulk Rename...I've already told you the simplest way to use it, but like any other program...you need to play with it a bit to do the things you may want to do.

There "prefix" and "suffix" options for numbering...any name can be modified as you like.

I find that it's easier if I just create new folders and put all the files that I want to rename in a certain manner...then use the tool to make desired changes.

As for online storage...I don't believe in giving custody of items that I may want any minute...to any agency or anyone.  All my files are personal and I believe personal custody works best for me.  If I stored items online...and then lost Internet connectivity and no immedate access to such...I'd be pretty upset with myself if I stored online :).

I have a ton of hard drives that I consider more reliable for storage purposes...than I could feel confident about online storage.  So I can't suggest anything re such a concept.

But...I'm sure that Google can provide you with plenty of opinions re such...the problem with Googling such is that one has no idea re how much reliability one can place on what is read.

Nice work on your part, happy computing :).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users