Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Gateway NV laptop - will not boot

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 figuarus

figuarus

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:32 AM

Posted 22 April 2013 - 01:28 AM

Hey guys, 

I've come to a small problem with a recently purchased laptop. 

I paid 100 bucks for this thing knowing it has some issues, so no big loss if it can't be fixed...

For starters, some basic information

Gateway NV7802u, running windows 7.

500GB hd (sata, if that matters) with 4gb of ram.

this is all the information i have. 

As far as i know, it has a factory installation of windows 7, but i do not know if it's 64 bit or 32 bit.

Right now, i get the gateway logo, with the boot and bios menu options, then it goes to the menu screen with boot options 

(since it keeps getting manually turned off)

I have tried getting it to boot in safe mode, safe mode with networking, and normal mode. 

the safe mode boot will bring up a screen with a white bar that states loading windows files, but nothing happens. goes to a black screen, and wont do anything after that.

attempting to boot in normal mode takes me to the normal windows screen (where the four small color balls form the windows logo) but the logo will not form. it freezes and then goes to a black screen.

I have taken the hard drive out and placed in my desktop to see if there is even anything on this drive  ( the previous owner stated that his brother had removed the drive to remove his files and transfer them to the new computer) 

my win xp system loads the drive, and shows the normal windows system folders and stuff. (there is almost 10 gigs of data on the drive)

I tried to get it to boot up on a sata 2.0 USB cable adapter, but would not show up on this laptop im using (another windows 7 machine)

Im kind of stumped as to where to go from here. I dont have any windows CD's to try and re install the system, nor do i have any system recovery disks. 

any ideas if this is a software or hardware issue?

thanks in advance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TwinHeadedEagle

TwinHeadedEagle

• Security Colleague
  • 352 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:32 AM

Posted 22 April 2013 - 01:44 AM

I would test that hard drive with MHDD for hardware errors

http://hddguru.com/software/2005.10.02-MHDD/

#3 figuarus

figuarus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:32 AM

Posted 22 April 2013 - 05:33 PM

no problem..how do i do that exactly? i have never used MHDD...

#4 TwinHeadedEagle

TwinHeadedEagle

• Security Colleague
  • 352 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:32 AM

Posted 22 April 2013 - 10:53 PM

Follow this link

http://www.remusnet.com/laptop-hardware/9-laptop-hard-drives/42-how-to-test-the-hard-drive-part-one.html

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users