Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Virus issues

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
34 replies to this topic

#1 jsacks

jsacks

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:41 PM

Posted 21 April 2013 - 05:43 PM

My son's computer has a virus that will not allow me to download anything (malwarebytes, unhide, etc.).  It will not allow me to access the c:\ drive or a USB port.  So I can not use this as an option.  He does have malwarebytes already on his computer, but, of course, we can open it.  Any suggestions?  Is there a way to do something from the c prompt?

Edit: Moved topic from Vista to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,754 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:41 AM

Posted 21 April 2013 - 05:48 PM

I'll report this topic to appropriate helpers.

Hold on...

My Website

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click DONATE

#3 etavares

etavares

Bleepin' Remover

• Malware Response Team
  • 15,514 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:41 PM

Posted 21 April 2013 - 07:50 PM

Hi jsacks,

I'm moving this to the Virus Removal Forum so you can post logs.  First, please tell me exactly what happens.  You said you can't access the C: drive...do you get a blue screen?  Or an error message?  Exactly what happens?

-etavares

If I don't respond within 2 days, please feel free to PM me.
Please don't ask for help via PM. The forums are there for a reason. Please post in the forums so others may benefit as well.

Posted Image
Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

#4 jsacks

jsacks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2013 - 07:56 PM

It is an error message.  Top left of error message says - "explorer.exe".  Message itself says "class not registered".

#5 etavares

etavares

Bleepin' Remover

• Malware Response Team
  • 15,514 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2013 - 08:31 PM

Hi,

That means a DLL isn't registered, or it's corrupted.

To see if we can register it:  Are you able to load the command prompt?  Boot normally --> Start --> type cmd.exe then wait for cmd.exe to pop up in the search results, right-click and Run As Administrator or does that also give you the same error?

TO see if we can replace it:  Do you have the windows installation CD/DVD for this version of Windows?  Or access to a computer running the same version?

-etavares

Please don't ask for help via PM. The forums are there for a reason. Please post in the forums so others may benefit as well.

Posted Image

#6 jsacks

jsacks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2013 - 08:38 PM

I am able to run the command prompt as administrator and I do have another computer with Vista.  Thank you for all your help!!

#7 etavares

etavares

Bleepin' Remover

• Malware Response Team
  • 15,514 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2013 - 07:13 PM

OK, get into the command prompt as administrator like before.  At the prompt type:

regsvr32 ExplorerFrame.dll

and press Enter.

You should get a message saying it was successful.  Reboot and try to see if that error disappears.  If not, we'll try and replace that file from the other computer.

-etavares

Posted Image

#8 jsacks

jsacks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2013 - 10:37 PM

I got an error message.  It says "he module ExplorerFrame.dll failed to load.  Make sure the binary is stored at the specified path or debug it to check for problems with the binary or dependent .dll files.  The specified module could not be found."

#9 etavares

etavares

Bleepin' Remover

• Malware Response Team
  • 15,514 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2013 - 10:33 PM

That would be the probable reason why you're getting the error.  First, is the broken  computer running 32 bit or 64 bit windows?

-etavares

Posted Image

#10 jsacks

jsacks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2013 - 11:21 PM

I can't get to the control panel, either.  We believe it is 32 bit.

#11 etavares

etavares

Bleepin' Remover

• Malware Response Team
  • 15,514 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2013 - 08:10 PM

1. OK, from your working computer (with the same version of Windows)....copy C:\Windows\System32\explorerframe.dll to a flash drive, not in a folder, just in the base flash drive folder (e.g. F:\)
  2. Boot the computer with that error and plug in the flash drive.
  3. Launch a command prompt as administrator as before.
  4. Type copy x:\explorerframe.dll c:\windows\system32 and press Enter (note the space between the .dll and C:\windows).  Replace x with the drive letter of your flash drive on that computer.  If you're unsure:
  • Type diskpart at the prompt and press Enter.  If the popup asks if you want to run diskpart, allow it.
  • Type list volume in the diskpart window and press Enter.  You'll see a list of the various drives and a column for drive letter.  Look for your flash drive (the size column is usually easiest to determine which it is).
  • Type exit and press Enter in the diskpart window and it will return you to the command prompt to type the copy command.

Once that's done, reboot.  Do you still get the error as before?  If so, try the regsrvr command as above and reboot.

Let me know the status at that point.

-etavares

Posted Image

#12 jsacks

jsacks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2013 - 09:19 PM

Did as you said.  It saw the file on the flash drive as it asked if I wanted to overwrite c:\windows\system32\explorerframe.dll.  I answered yes.  Then it said access is denied.  0 file(s) copied.

I went ahead and rebooted and tried the regsvr, but got the same error message as before.

#13 etavares

etavares

Bleepin' Remover

• Malware Response Team
  • 15,514 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2013 - 05:42 AM

Hi jsacks,

Did you run the command prompt as administrator?

We can move the file linux if you did.  I not, try to run it as administrator then copy the file.  Do you have a flash drive handy?  It needs to be empty since we'll format it and make it a bootable linux device.

-etavares

Posted Image

#14 jsacks

jsacks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2013 - 11:17 PM

Yes, I ran command prompt as administrator.  I do have a flash drive that is empty.

#15 etavares

etavares

Bleepin' Remover

• Malware Response Team
  • 15,514 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2013 - 05:39 AM

Hello, jsacks.
Try this please. You will need a USB drive.

Download http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/unetbootin-xpud-windows-latest.exe & http://noahdfear.net/downloads/bootable/xPUD/xpud-0.9.2.iso to the desktop of your clean computer

• Insert your USB drive
  • Press Start > My Computer > right click your USB drive > choose Format > Quick format
  • Double click the unetbootin-xpud-windows-387.exe that you just downloaded
  • Press Run then OK
  • Select the DiskImage option then click the browse button located on the right side of the textbox field.
  • Browse to and select the xpud-0.9.2.iso file you downloaded
  • Verify the correct drive letter is selected for your USB device then click OK
  • It will install a little bootable OS on your USB device
  • Once the files have been written to the device you will be prompted to reboot ~ do not reboot and instead just Exit the UNetbootin interface
  • After it has completed do not choose to reboot the clean computer simply close the installer
  • Copy C:\windows\system32\explorerframe.dll to the flash drive you just created.
  • Remove the USB and insert it in the sick computer
  • Boot the Sick computer
  • Press F12 and choose to boot from the USB. If that doesn't work, let me know. Booting from USBs is different depending on your BIOS.
  • Follow the prompts
  • A Welcome to xPUD screen will appear
  • Click File.
  • We need to find your hard drive and find your flash drive.  Expand mnt.  You'll probably see sda1, sda2, sdb1, etc.  The third letter tells us the physical drive and the number tells us the partition on the drive (e.g. sda1 is probably your C: drive, sda2 would be D: drive if you had partitioned it, etc.)
  • Expand sda1 to start...do you see \windows and \users, if so that's probably the C: drive we need to identify.  If not, look at the others.
  • sdb1 is probably your flash drive...expand it...do you see explorerframe.dll on it?  If you can't find your flash drive, unplug it, wait 20 seconds, plug it in, wait another 10 seconds until xPud recognizes the drive and you should see it pop in the list.
  • Once you find it, right-click explorerframe.dll on your flash drive, select copy.
  • Then, navigate to the mnt\sdxx\windows\system32 folder where sdxx is the sda1 or whatever for your c:\ drive.  Right click on the right side (not on a file, but in the background) and select Paste.  It should ask you if you want to replace the existing file.  Let it do so.
  • Then, go to the Home tab and click Power Off.
  • Once it's shut down, pull out the xPud flash drive and reboot.
  • Let me know if it works.  If it doesn't, try the regserver command again as before from a command prompt run as administrator and let me know what the message is then.

etavares

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users