Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

using a VPN to connect to different subnets?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 sniper8752

sniper8752

• Members
  • 380 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:46 PM

Posted 21 April 2013 - 04:28 PM

I would like to have two computers to be able to talk to each other, that are on different subnets.  As of right now, the one can't talk to the other.  What I want to do is to be able to play Minecraft, but as of right now, they don't see each other.  Would a VPN be a good solution for this?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 chrisd87

chrisd87

• Members
  • 811 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2013 - 04:01 PM

You can bind two IP addresses to your NIC if you can do without DHCP. Turn off DHCP and go to Advanced TCP/IP Setting in IPv4. In there you can put a 192.168.0.0/16 address and the gateway address (Subnet Mask). Then add another address 10.0.0.0/24 and no gateway address (Subnet Mask). This way you can be on both networks at the same time.

The ip addresses are just examples, and yours may vary.

Edited by chrisd87, 22 April 2013 - 04:02 PM.

"Like car accidents, most hardware problems are due to driver ɹoɹɹǝ."

#3 sniper8752

sniper8752
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 380 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2013 - 08:42 PM

I am in the advanced tcp/ip settings.  for the first address, what do I put as the subnet mask?  and I did not see a spot for the /16/24 at the end.  the dialog box only had ip address and subnet mask.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users