Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Catch 22 ? Installing a new SSD in a new laptop with external dvd

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 pwr333

pwr333

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:45 AM

Posted 21 April 2013 - 03:43 PM

I bought a new Samsung series 5 ultrabook , I7 Ivy Bridge 3517, 8 Gb ram , mechanical HD, Phoenix P09AAJ Bios Tiano setup.

I bought a new Samsung 840 SSD and Windows 7 Pro (oem) and a new Samsung se-208 external usb  dvd writer

The installation of the SSD went fine and on power on I get a blue bios confirmation of the new SSD, not the

standard bios rundown, but a separate bios blue screen confirming the SSD.

Then it stops. The dvd spins the win7 disk a few times then stops.  I put the samsung dvd driver disk in the dvd

and it spins once then stops. I know this dvd writer works from backing up user filesof the original Mechanical HD.  

So my question is, should the Windows 7 Pro disk boot up automatically, as in a desktop, or do I have to load the

dvd writer driver on the laptop first ? What am I missing here ?

TIA  Paul

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:45 PM

Posted 22 April 2013 - 01:19 AM

I think you should connect the external optical drive and insert the Windows 7 disc while the SSD drive is already properly inserted and upon early bootup press the key to enter BIOS setup to change boot priority to USB then Save - Exit. However I have notice that your using an OEM disc(?) for that particular model as newer laptops comes with Windows 8 which means you are downgrading the OS and voiding the warranty. Isn't your laptop also equipped with a optical disc line this - http://www.samsung.com/us/computer/laptops/NP530U4B-A02US-features

Tekken

#3 pwr333

pwr333
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:45 AM

Posted 22 April 2013 - 09:32 AM

Hi jhayz

My series 5 is 13.3" without a built in optical drive. The original OS is Win7pro. My new OS is a Win7pro from Newegg. I have gone

into the bios and changed the boot priority to the usb optical drive, it actually comes up in bios as usb dvd. The machine also came

with an app to copy OS and drivers, which I did on the external dvd. That disk didn't boot either. I'm missing sometning basic here,

I can't get past the bios post.

Paul

#4 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:45 PM

Posted 23 April 2013 - 02:45 AM

Are you sure the usb dvd drive is working? Did you try using it first by copying files to a disc or reading any dvd data/movies?

Tekken

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users