Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How Do I Open My Photos In Adobe Cs By Default?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 DemiDee

DemiDee

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:08 AM

Posted 08 April 2006 - 07:02 AM

Hi guys! I'm new here and although I've mastered the basics in computing, sometimes
my computer drives me to distraction, and I'm hoping that there are some really clever
bods on here who can help a novice like me!

Right now, when I open any photos in my documents, they are opening with Adobe Starter Edition,
but I want them to open into Adobe CS. I have been right clicking and going down to 'open with' which works OK, but is there a way I can change things so that they all just open automatically with Adobe CS?

Thank you for listening! Dee

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:08 AM

Posted 08 April 2006 - 07:21 AM

See this quick guide put together by yours truly:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/40808/how-to-change-which-application-opens-your-pictures/

Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2006 - 08:02 AM

I was always surprised that Adobe didn't put an image file association option in CS's preferences menu.
If you didn't setup the associations during installation, you have to do it the hard way.
Guess they figure people will just run through the default installation click "next" all the way. :thumbsup:

#4 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2006 - 11:34 AM

There are a million ways to open things in Adobe.

File>Open (short cut is double click on the background of photoshop)

Drag and drop files from Windows explorer

File>Import (works only with supported programs)

In Windows explorer, right click then>Open With>Photoshop

In Windows explorer, right click then>Open (Works if your computer is set up like jgweed suggested)

From Kodak Photo Desk, File>Send To>Photoshop (can make keyboard shortcut for this)

Right click on an image/picture in Internet Explorer or Mozilla Firefox and click copy (copy image for firefox), then go to Photoshop and click File>New, hit enter (or click ok, size of canvas is automatically set to the size of the image you just copied), then click on Edit>Paste, and it will paste the image that you copied into the new canvas (new file). NOTE: When you use this method, it creates a layer. Use Layer>Flatten Image to get rid of a layer if you don't want it.

From Adobe Image Ready, File>Jump to>Image ready (CTRL+Shift+M is shortcut, and will send image back and forth from Image Ready to Photoshop)

Most scanners (film and/or flatbed) will allow you to access their programs from File>Import>(scanner program), then when it's finished scanning, it will open in Photoshop and close the scanning program

I'm sure that there's some that I missed....but this is a good start. Short cuts are extremely handy too!

Edited by stevealmighty, 14 April 2006 - 11:39 AM.

War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

#5 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2006 - 06:32 AM

There are a million ways to open things in Adobe.

Yes there is but DemiDee requested a "default" association, sort of a "fix it and forget it". :thumbsup:
jgweed's link will work fine for that. It would be nice to be able to specify default image associations within photoshop's interface itself though. So many other image editors and viewers for far less money, even free, offer that.

Edited by HitSquad, 15 April 2006 - 06:33 AM.

#6 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2006 - 06:30 PM

I know :thumbsup:

I was just trying to be helpful, just showing that there's more than one way to open images with CS than right clicking then clicking open, specially if they're trying to open multiple images! :flowers:
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users