Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Google vs. Bing

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 yabbadoo

yabbadoo

• Banned
  • 510 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:41 AM

Posted 21 April 2013 - 10:08 AM

Google vs. Bing
I have only just found Bing as a search engine. My browsing is just ordinary surfing, nothing complicated. no acrobatics. 

My initial reaction to Bing is that it is very good, I like it very much. Bing does all of the things that Google does for my activity, but having been with Google for 12 years, it is a difficult decision to change a winning team and dump an old friend who has served me impeccably.

I have looked up all the Bing comments and comparisons on the web, but would like some ordinary users who have had a long experience with Bing and Google to give me their honest opinions. Goods and bads.

Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 FlannelBack

FlannelBack

• Members
  • 327 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:41 PM

Posted 21 April 2013 - 01:49 PM

I don't use either one much so can't really offer an opinion, but why not compare the two side by side for yourself at:

bing-vs-google? You'll get the results of your search from both at the same time.

Edited by FlannelBack, 21 April 2013 - 01:51 PM.

#3 yabbadoo

yabbadoo
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 510 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:41 AM

Posted 23 April 2013 - 11:32 AM

I don't use either one much so can't really offer an opinion, but why not compare the two side by side for yourself at:

bing-vs-google? You'll get the results of your search from both at the same time.

Thanks Flannel for replying.

I have already sussed out the web, but official and clinical test results have always got a kind of uncomfortable feeling about them.

I particularly wanted experienced users to give their comments. I have found often that the ground-root "shopper" knows far more than the vendors or professional analysts about the product.

Frankly at present my impression is that there is not a lot to choose between them, but having said that, Google is the household name for search engines, just like Hoover is the household name for vacuum cleaners. Plus i am convinced that Google has the edge over Bing.

Google and Hoover have been absorbed into our language over time as the descriptive terms for their respective virtues. If you say "Google it", everybody knows what you mean and do it even if they use Bing or some other search engine. Just like getting the vacuum cleaner out by saying "I'll get the Hoover out", when it is not a Hoover at all.

So by tradition, we use Google, but that does not mean Bing is a worse search engine, just that Google is historically more established as part of the furniture.

#4 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,551 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:41 PM

Posted 23 April 2013 - 01:31 PM

And unfortunately "Bing it" just doesn't have the cachet that "Google it" does. Much like "Electrolux it" doesn't have the same ring as "Hoover it".

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users