Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

UHOH. spilled beer on ex-fiancee's new laptop. HELP!!

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 shukujo

shukujo

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:44 PM

Posted 21 April 2013 - 06:23 AM

*sigh* yep. you read that right. I spilled about a third of a beer right onto the keyboard of my ex-fiancee's new laptop; my only saving grace was that the reason I was carrying both beer and laptop was because HE was too smashed after breaking up with his girlfriend to walk straight or carry his laptop. Buuut, I still feel really bad. The only damage I haven't been able to completely fix is, so it seems, to the keyboard. I've opened the back, pulled out the dvd drive, popped out the keyboard, carefully lifted and pulled any ZIF ribbon connectors I could see, then I practically gave that keyboard a shower in 91% pure alcohol. I mean it squeaks, it's so clean. 

The laptop is an HP ProBook 4535s; if anyone wants to see video from HP on how this thing comes apart/goes together:  http://h20464.www2.hp.com/resultsCSR.htm?prodSeriesId=5098225&MEID=18733F2F-F09D-45E2-821A-56251DB2F0DB

So the keyboard - when the computer boots up, it sets off this series of beeps that go on for a while, basically until the POST stops, I'm assuming. After that, there seems to be one or two areas on the keyboard that just are not responding. I cleaned up as much of the mess as I could, is it possible the laptop just needs to be left opened in a drafty spot for a couple of days?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,011 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:44 AM

Posted 21 April 2013 - 05:16 PM

Hi Shukujo,

I too am an enthusiastic admirer of beer, but in the right place - either in the pint pot beside me at the moment, or inside me !  The problem is it doesn't mix with computers.

The most likely explanation is that some of the nasty sticky compoments ( of beer ) are shorting out some connections on or around the mother board. The hard drive is a sealed unit, and apart from cleaning its connections there isn't much you can do to it. I would be inclined to remove the ram chip(s) and give them and their connectors a clean, that's normally fairly simple. You talk about strip down procedures - if ( and only if ) you feel up to it, remove the motherboard and give it a good clean, but your own idea of giving it a day or two to dry out will not do any harm, can only do some good, and will be less stressful than trying to get the motherboard out.

Chris Cosgrove

I am going to be away until about the 22nd October. Time on-line will be reduced and my internet access may be limited. PMs may not be replied to as quickly as normal !

#3 shukujo

shukujo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:44 PM

Posted 26 April 2013 - 02:22 PM

Thanks. I tried to tell him all of this, but he's decided I'm an Evil Wench who was deliberately intent on messing up his laptop. He retrieved it from me before I had the chance to affect anything more than a good cleaning of what components I could access without any special tools. The funny part is he can't seem to remember that night well enough to recall that, ultimately, it was his fault I ended up spilling the beer in the first place. He was, after all, playing grabass with me while basically falling over drunk, not making my task of carrying laptop, charging cord, purse, 2 jackets, and the open beer - all while wearing 4" heels - any easier. Hahaha - and, of course, he got back together with the girl who put him in that state right away. 

So - c'est la vie. I decided he could figure it out on his own or sell the dang thing or toss it for all I care. Feeling bad is one thing but being punished or disrespected for an accident is beyond the scope of what happened.

And it was a waste of a really good beer. Hmph.

#4 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,011 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:44 AM

Posted 27 April 2013 - 04:48 PM

I would say thaat was a reasonable response on your part !  If my wife had been you, I would probably have got thumped !

Chris Cosgrove

I am going to be away until about the 22nd October. Time on-line will be reduced and my internet access may be limited. PMs may not be replied to as quickly as normal !

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users