Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows and Mac

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 v123naqrroc

v123naqrroc

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:40 AM

Posted 21 April 2013 - 03:10 AM

Not sure whether I should put this in Windows or Mac section.

I've got a desktop windows on w7 and I've just a Mac 13" Laptop running OS X now the Canon printer I have will run straight off the Mac if plugged in but is plugged into the W7 puter normally. and it's a pain to change over as the cable is short to reach the Mac.  Now I want to network that together so both can use the printer. My Grandson also has a windows Laptop that I would like to network as well to the printer. What gets me the computer names and how to express them when asked in when I am in the control/network. we have a 4 port router connection.

Apprciate if some one can help.

Edited by hamluis, 21 April 2013 - 03:22 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to Mac forum - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Buddyme2

Buddyme2

• Members
  • 715 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:40 AM

Posted 22 April 2013 - 01:32 PM

I don't know a thing about Windows OS but, here is a printer setup instructions for your Mac for OSX 10.5.8 or earlier with links to instructions for OSX v10.6 and OSX 10.7 Lion.

Adding a printer to your list in Mac OS X 10.5.8 or earlier.

#3 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:40 PM

Posted 22 April 2013 - 02:13 PM

I've got a desktop windows on w7 and I've just a Mac 13" Laptop running OS X now the Canon printer I have will run straight off the Mac if plugged in but is plugged into the W7 puter normally. and it's a pain to change over as the cable is short to reach the Mac.  Now I want to network that together so both can use the printer. My Grandson also has a windows Laptop that I would like to network as well to the printer. What gets me the computer names and how to express them when asked in when I am in the control/network. we have a 4 port router connection.

You should be able to connect the printer to one of the computers and then "share" the printer so that the other computers can print to the printer "through" the computer the printer is directly connected to. I will note that in order for this to work, the computer that the printer is connected to will have to ALWAYS be on when you want to print from the other computers.

If you want the printer connected to the Windows 7 computer, then here is the instructions for sharing a printer in Windows:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/share-a-printer

Once you have it shared on the Windows 7 computer, you should be able to add the printer again on the Mac in the System Prefs.

The other overall option is to get a device that will act as a printer server. Some routers will have a USB port that allows you to connect a printer to a router...this will then allow any computer connected to the network to print to that printer. Some NAS (network attached storage) drives also have USB ports that you can connect a printer to.

The other, other overall option is to get a new printer that is a network printer...either by WiFi or ethernet.

#4 windummy

windummy

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:40 PM

Posted 25 July 2013 - 10:56 AM

@ V123---

You're better off using a KVM switch box between the two foreign platforms. This way, one keyboard and one mouse can control and toggle between both MAC and Microsoft /OS indiscriminately at the touch of a button. No un-plugging and re-plugging cables. And best of all, no networking and all it's hassles required.

What Does KVM Switching Mean and HOW Does it Work?:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KVM_switch

Networking is a hassle. Especially since you forgot to tell us if either your MAC and Win7 is 32 Bits a/o 64 Bits or a little of each. For example: If your Win7 is 64 Bit and your Mac is 32 Bit and you are running all your hardware from the Mac @ 32 Bits, networking will be worthless to you and a big, frustrating hassle.

You already have a 4 port router connection. In case you are using only 32 Bit hardware, with KVM you won't be forced to go out and buy 64 Bit hardware (because not all downloadable 32Bit to 64 Bit Driver upgrades work if you network. You will be forced to consider buying all new 64 Bit hardware in order to do so. That's what most manufacturers are hoping many people will do).

Here's a simple diagram I designed that I still use to show people about this:

KVMSwitchdiagramsMusiccopy2011ByMARTINHE

I've Googled searched info about KVM Switching for you as follows:

https://www.google.com/search?q=Buy+KVM+Switching%2F&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

I use a x4 port KVM Switch by TRENDnet called the TK-407K that works great for me:

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3650276&utm_source=Google&utm_medium=PPC&utm_term=55032879&utm_content=Exact&utm_campaign=PLA&{ifmobile:ds_dest_url=http%3A%2F%2Fm.radioshack.com%2Fradioshack%2Fproduct%2Fdetail.do%3FitemId%3d3650276%26utm_source%3dGoogle%26utm_medium%3dPPC%26utm_term%3d55032879%26utm_content%3dExact%26utm_campaign%3dPLA}&cagpspn=pla&gclid=CPDJ_ZeAy7gCFc1I4AodcSgAAA&gclsrc=ds.ds

Let us know how you make out. Happy hunting and Good luck!

Re,

MH~

Edited by windummy, 25 July 2013 - 12:00 PM.

#5 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:40 PM

Posted 26 July 2013 - 05:32 PM

Networking is a hassle. Especially since you forgot to tell us if either your MAC and Win7 is 32 Bits a/o 64 Bits or a little of each. For example: If your Win7 is 64 Bit and your Mac is 32 Bit and you are running all your hardware from the Mac @ 32 Bits, networking will be worthless to you and a big, frustrating hassle.

You already have a 4 port router connection. In case you are using only 32 Bit hardware, with KVM you won't be forced to go out and buy 64 Bit hardware (because not all downloadable 32Bit to 64 Bit Driver upgrades work if you network. You will be forced to consider buying all new 64 Bit hardware in order to do so. That's what most manufacturers are hoping many people will do).

Not sure what you mean. There is NO issue with networking a 64 bit Windows computer with a 32 bit Mac, other than any issues that might arise in any situation (i.e. even if both systems where 32 bit). 64 bit vs. 32 bit will have no impact networking compatibility (assuming both computers work fine with a network).

My Windows desktop that has both 32 bit and 64 bit versions of Windows on it (it is setup to multi-boot to several different versions of Windows) has absolutely no issues in being on the network with my Macs, either my 64 bit Macs (any Mac running Mountain Lion, aka 10.8.x, is running 64 bit...for older versions of the Mac OS, it can vary) or my older 32 bit Macs

Edited by smax013, 26 July 2013 - 05:39 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users