Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

quietHDD - Anyone used this program before?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 SoXfused

SoXfused

• Members
  • 138 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:11 AM

Posted 20 April 2013 - 11:38 PM

Is there a forum on this site where the experts or advanced users test out new or little-known tools and software? :scratchhead:   I would like to try this tool below because I think it might help out with my problem, but I'm trying to find out if it's legit or not since there's not much out there about it.  Below is the link:

https://sites.google.com/site/quiethdd/Home

My brand new laptop keeps making this annoying sound, and from what I've researched, I think it's the hard drive parking.  This is my second laptop of this model, and the first one made the same sound, so I sent it back and exchanged for a new one, and this one makes the same sound, which makes me think this is "normal" for this brand of laptop.  And I've run diagnostic tests and the hard drive and memory both passed the tests. 

Could someone tell me if it would be safe to try a little known tool like this?

Thanks for your help! :)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,905 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:11 AM

Posted 22 April 2013 - 03:29 PM

Never heard of it or used it. However I would have a concern using a tool last updated in 2009 on a brand new piece of hardware. You could always send the author an email and ask them if it's still supported? Email address is at that site.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:11 AM

Posted 23 April 2013 - 10:06 AM

Hi, Before  I went and installed software to fix a problem I would want to be sure what the noise is coming from.

Can You record the noise and post it Youtube for example so it can be listened to, as an aid to see what the cause is?

Thanks

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#4 addysft

addysft

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:11 PM

Posted 20 August 2016 - 02:33 PM

For those who will come to this forum topic in the next years to find an info about quiethdd: Yes, the micro tool is doing its job perfectly in my case; i had a HDD WDC WD3200BPVT-22JJ5T0 which clicks every few seconds; unfortunately i had observed after long time, and hdd counts 1.2 million head parkings before found this tool. Problem solved like a charm.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users