Hi, and welcome to Bleeping Computer!
Your computer is having a hard time reading your hard drive probably because it is going, or has gone, bad. Be sure to make backups of important data immediately!!!
Other things to check just to be sure: Unplug hard drive and plug it back in. Unplug the molex power plug to that hard drive and use a different one from a different leg from the power supply. Look for bent pins, that sort of obvious thing. I have seen this behavior before when a power pin had come loose from the plastic connector.
But more than likely the drive iteslf is going bad. Go to the manufacturer's website and download their disk utility to check the hard drive out:
- Fujitsu "FJDT" DOWNLOAD Works with fujitsu models only.
- Hitachi / IBM - DFT "Drive Fitness Test" DOWNLOAD Works with all manufacturers.
- Maxtor "Powermax" DOWNLOAD Works with all manufacturers.
- Samsung "hutil" DOWNLOAD Compatability unknown.
- Seagate "Seatools" DOWNLOAD Works with Seagate drives only.
- Toshiba - N/A There are no tools available for Toshiba, but you may be able to use IBM or Maxtor's.
- Western Digital "Data Lifeguard" DOWNLOAD Works with WD drives only.
Edited by Albert Frankenstein, 08 April 2006 - 07:48 AM.