Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Games Shutting down randomly, Please help!!!

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Yodakryllbeout

Yodakryllbeout

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:26 AM

Posted 20 April 2013 - 04:30 PM

Hi, i built my own computer a couple months ago mostly for gaming and have been having trouble with playing games on it. Every game i trya game it runs perfectly fine for a random amount of time before it just shuts off and goes back to the desktop immediately. This has been going on for quite some time now and have exhausted most options that at least i know of. I checked my temp inside my comp and it was a little hot so i replaced the heatsink with a nicer one (which did cool down the pc considerably but still had no effect on the games), I checked all my drivers to see if they were out of date and i even wiped most of my hard drives (minus the one that has all my music and movies on it). None of these helped. A game might shut down as soon as i start it up 3 times in a row then be fine for 4 or 5 hours then shut down again, it's always so random. 

My computer specs are:

ASRock 970 Extreme3

AMD FX-6200

16gb PNY DDR3 ram

MSI NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 ti

2 1Tb hardrives

and a 60gb ssd

So my comp shouldn't be having any trouble playing most games on the market and it still does this. I run my games through steam but i also try games outside of it like league and such and run into the same problem. oh one more thing, maybe 1 out of 10 or 15 times it will shut down the game like always but then it blue screen and fully restart my pc. 

I hope you guys can help cause at this point i may go back to consoles.

THANKS!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MickinPlymouthUK

MickinPlymouthUK

• Members
  • 688 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:26 AM

Posted 21 April 2013 - 08:14 PM

I've been having random freezes too just lately, usually when playing high-end action games like Armed Assault, my computer fan started whirring in overdrive and soon after that the game froze solid on the screen and I had to switch of the power to get out of it. 

The local computer shop diagnosed overheating which they said was caused by a small patch of paste between two PC components going brittle with age and losing its heat-insulating properties. 

So they re-pasted it (charged me 40 GBP/60 USD, ouch) and the problem's fixed.

PS- it might be worth mentioning but I use a big 28" monitor; I'm not a tech expert but it crossed my mind that perhaps a big mon puts extra workload on the processor and makes it hotter?

My specs-

Intel Core2 Duo E8500@3.16GHz
RAM 4.0GB Dual-channel DDR2@400Mhz
NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250 1024Mb

WinXP Home SP3

Edited by MickinPlymouthUK, 21 April 2013 - 08:25 PM.

#3 Yodakryllbeout

Yodakryllbeout
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2013 - 02:01 AM

Nah, heat was the first thing i checked. Dusted my comp and bought a new heatsink so i had to re-apply the thermal paste for that and didn't fix anything.

#4 Dacar92

Dacar92

• Members
  • 232 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:26 AM

Posted 22 April 2013 - 12:12 PM

Please post the Blue Screen data as it will have codes and such that could help to narrow down the cause. 

Are the GPU and RAM cards seated properly?  Have you tried rolling back GPU driver to an earlier version and/or uninstalling it and then reinstalling it to see if it happens then?  Sometimes corrupt drivers can cause random shutdowns.  But the BSOD data can help narrow down the cause. 

Edited by Dacar92, 22 April 2013 - 12:12 PM.

What's the point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes? -- The Doctor

#5 Yodakryllbeout

Yodakryllbeout
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2013 - 12:41 AM

I managed to snag a picture when the blue screen happened. Hope it helps

http://i.imgur.com/696LaT5.jpg

#6 Dacar92

Dacar92

• Members
  • 232 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2013 - 10:44 AM

That error code is usually associated with DirectX, Possibly drivers as well.  Could possibly also be bad graphics hardware.  Or even a bad PCI slot on the motherboard where the GPU resides. I have read articles and forum threads for all of these reasons why this error message may appear.  I have a Windows 7 laptop with this error and am still troubleshooting it. 

First, do you have another slot you can switch it to?  Second, I would uninstall DX and reinstall.  Next I would uninstall and reinstall the latest graphics drivers.  Do not get them from Windows Update, rather go to the manufacturer's website and download from there. You may use Driver Fusion to completely remove all traces of a driver.  Beware of the third party software. I used it and then removed it on my laptop.  One of the best removal tools is Revo Uninstaller.

You can always tell your machine to not automatically restart when it shuts down due to a blue screen.  Once this is done, the machine will stick on the blue screen so you can write down the codes and error messages.  Then hit power button to turn it off completely.  To do this follow these instructions:

You didn't say which OS you are using but in Windows 7:

1. Click on the Start button and then on Control Panel.

2. Click on the System and Security link.

3. Note: If you're viewing the Small icons or Large icons view of Control Panel, you won't see this link. Simply double-click on the System icon and proceed to Step 4.

4. Click on the System link.

5. In the task pane on the left, click the Advanced system settings link.

6. Locate the Startup and Recovery section near the bottom of the window and click on the Settings button.

7. In the Startup and Recovery window, locate and uncheck the check box next to Automatically restart.

8. Click OK in the Startup and Recovery window.

9. Click OK in the System Properties window.

10. You can now close the System window.

11. From now on, when a problem causes a BSOD or another major error that halts the system, Windows 7 will not force a reboot. You'll have to reboot manually when an error appears.

Please let us know how the troubleshooting goes.

Thanks

What's the point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes? -- The Doctor

#7 Yodakryllbeout

Yodakryllbeout
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2013 - 02:27 PM

Ok, i switched my video card to another slot and reinstalled the newest video card drivers with no effect. How would i unistall direct x and reinstall it? it doesnt seem to be in one location or atleast i can't find it. 

#8 Dacar92

Dacar92

• Members
  • 232 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2013 - 03:28 PM

Hi, actually you can't really uninstall Direct X.  It is a system component.  There are some web products that claim to do the job but if you use one you may cause more problems and them Microsoft couldn't help you with a real Direct X issue.  At this point, can you update it at all?  DXDIAG may help you diagnose problems if any exist. 

Go to Start and the in the "search programs and files" window, type DXDIAG.  Allow the program to run and then see if it acknowledges any issues.  Here is some good reading on the Microsoft website on how to diagnose problems with Directx and other subjects, technical articles, etc. 

If you determine that there is no issue with DirectX I might then look at hardware. Do you have another "known good" GPU you can use for troubleshooting?  Even if it is an older one it might help us narrow down issues.

#9 Yodakryllbeout

Yodakryllbeout
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2013 - 08:31 PM

I ran the diagnostic and it couldn't find any problems and i'm running directx 11. Now do you think this is a processor issue or a graphics card issue? cause i could potentially find one of my old AMD processors to try but i dont really have another graphics card to try.

#10 MickinPlymouthUK

MickinPlymouthUK

• Members
  • 688 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2013 - 08:47 PM

..Every game i trya game it runs perfectly fine for a random amount of time before it just shuts off and goes back to the desktop immediately...

Does it happen with ALL games or just the big processor-heavy ones like Armed Assault or Flight Sim X etc?

And are they new games or old ones that might not get on with newer OS's like Vista?

Edited by MickinPlymouthUK, 23 April 2013 - 08:53 PM.

#11 Yodakryllbeout

Yodakryllbeout
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2013 - 09:41 PM

It seems to be only heavier games, I've been playing AC3, Bioshock 1 and 3, and the Witcher 2 and it happens with all three. I havent really been playing many small games but atleast i know FTL and Sword and Sorcery don't crash and they're pretty small games.

#12 Dacar92

Dacar92

• Members
  • 232 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2013 - 11:17 AM

Before you start replacing hardware, have you looked on the specific game forums at the publisher sites to see if others are having similar issues on the same OS as the one you are using?  Sometimes it happens to others and a small tweak here or there is all it takes to get a game running normally.

Otherwise, my next move would be to replace the graphics card and see if that is the culprit. 

#13 MickinPlymouthUK

MickinPlymouthUK

• Members
  • 688 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2013 - 01:28 PM

Before you start replacing hardware, have you looked on the specific game forums at the publisher sites to see if others are having similar issues on the same OS as the one you are using?  Sometimes it happens to others and a small tweak here or there is all it takes to get a game running normally.

Otherwise, my next move would be to replace the graphics card and see if that is the culprit. 

Yes game forums should always be the first port of call for advice but in my experience most members there are whizzes at games but not so hot on the techy side.

And to complicate matters, some game settings menus are hard to fathom, such as the Armed Assault one below, I don't even know what Anisotropic / Antialising / ATC / HDR / PPAA / Postprocess / Vsync mean and whether they should be Disabled or set to Low or High etc!

Tweaking might resolve issues but it's a long job because you have to do it by trial and error one tweak at a time to see what effect (if any) each tweak has.

trying1.gif

PS-  My game-freezing problem seems to have come back but not as bad as before, I thought the shop had fixed it but it froze again yesterday after a couple of hours play. The fan begins high-revving for a while and then comes the freeze and the PC case is quite warm to the touch.

Maybe I'll find settings in the above menu that ease the processor workload so that it doesn't get so hot and am open to suggestions which I'm sure original poster Yodakryll will find interesting too, I'm not trying to hijack his thread, just contributing to it.. :)

My PC specs, it plays most games fine but gets hot and prone to freeze with high-end ones-

specssmallpc1.jpg

Edited by MickinPlymouthUK, 03 May 2013 - 01:41 PM.

#14 Dacar92

Dacar92

• Members
  • 232 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2013 - 02:43 PM

Here are a few sites with articles explaining what graphics settings mean and also the process of setting them for getting the maximum out of your video card. 

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/important-pc-gaming-terms-explained/

http://www.tweakguides.com/Graphics_1.html

http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/sb/cs-012644.htm

http://lifehacker.com/5985304/get-the-most-from-your-games-a-beginners-guide-to-graphics-settings

The best way to diagnose game settings is to set everything to "low" or "off" and see if you have issues.  Then slowly tweak upwards one setting at a time until you start to have issues again then, set them back.  Take notes so you know what you changed each time. Yes it will take time but I think you're taxing your graphics card too much and it will take it's toll after a while in heat and long term it can damage your card to the point here it may need to be replaced.

Items that take a lot of GPU power are:

Shadows

Render (or sight) distance

sun shafts

weather, like rain or snow

ground clutter

anti-aliasing

anisotropic filtering

All of these can affect the response from your graphics card.  In my experience, with games like Fallout, Skyrim, Oblivion and games like those, Shadows, sun shafts, and ground clutter take a lot of juice.  Anti-aliasing is a setting that cleans up edges of game polygons and makes a smoother viewing experience.  Anisotropic filtering does kind of the same thing, except to 2D textures placed on distant 3D objects, which makes them look more realistic.  Both of these can use up a lot power.  But many times you can ask the game to set the settings for you based on your particular hardware.

Go through the process I described above.  If you do not you might cost yourself a graphics card.  But first, check this site or this one to see if you can even play based on your hardware.  I am not sure how large the game databases are at these sites and I do not vouch for either.  But at first glance they can possibly help you out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users