Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Question about Partitions

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 allredyded

allredyded

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:40 PM

Posted 20 April 2013 - 04:28 PM

So I recently got adventurous and decided to try Linux. Long story short something went wrong with the installation and the Grub boot loader got messed up effectively locking me out of both Win 8 and Linux. Luckily I finally figured out how to get into the HP recovery mode and do a reformat and a fresh install of Windows 8. Everything is working great now and I'm over my Linux curiosity (clearly I'm not ready for it!). However I have one final question. Would reformatting in the HP recovery get rid of the partitions created by the Linux installer? I looked in disk management on Win 8 and see what looks like a bunch of partitions to me. Are they supposed to be there or are some of them left over from linux? If so, which ones should I get rid of?

Thank you in advance.

Attached Files

Edited by allredyded, 20 April 2013 - 04:29 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:40 PM

Posted 20 April 2013 - 05:03 PM

Yes, the recovery would have removed all partitions. In your screencap the first partition is the built-in Windows recovery partition, the second is the UEFI boot partition, the third is your main partition, and the fourth is the HP recovery partition.

#3 allredyded

allredyded
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:40 PM

Posted 20 April 2013 - 05:11 PM

Thank you so much!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users