Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Should I be concerned about this Secunia PSI JAVA update problem?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Frankiejob

Frankiejob

• Members
  • 149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:01 PM

Posted 20 April 2013 - 11:46 AM

My Windows 7 SP 1 computer seems to be running normally but today upon booting up, Secunia PSI reports that JAVA needs to be manually updated. This doesn't make sense because JAVA should update automatically, right? Upon opening Secunia PSI, it starts "examining" JAVA and then reports that it is "updating" JAVA but never finishes as the cursor keeps spinning within the application window. Next I download the update directly from the JAVA website but Windows reports the file as corrupted so I try again, successfully, but immediately get an error message about some kind of browser problem, (sorry I failed to capture the exact message). I decide to do a uninstall from control panel and then reinstall but notice 2 JAVA icons, one being the update I just installed. I didn't expect there to be 2 programs so I decide to ask you guys before I do anything else. Is this a problem with me or Secunia, or JAVA? Thanks very much. [edit] I did do quick scans of Super Anti Spyware, MS Security Essentials, and MBAM and all were clear. Oh, I should mention that even after supposedly updating JAVA, Secunia still notes that it needs updating.

Edited by Frankiejob, 20 April 2013 - 12:56 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,738 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:01 PM

Posted 20 April 2013 - 12:54 PM

Download Security Check from here or here and save it to your Desktop.

• Double-click SecurityCheck.exe
  • Follow the onscreen instructions inside of the black box.
  • A Notepad document should open automatically called checkup.txt; please post the contents of that document.

NOTE 1. If one of your security applications (e.g., third-party firewall) requests permission to allow DIG.EXE access the Internet, allow it to do so.
NOTE 2 SecurityCheck may produce some false warning(s), so leave the results reading to me.

My Website

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click DONATE

#3 Frankiejob

Frankiejob
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 149 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2013 - 01:15 PM

Thanks so much for your response...I guessing it's nothing because I've been careful since my last cleaning, but safe is better than sorry.

Results from Security Check:

Results of screen317's Security Check version 0.99.62 
 Windows 7 Service Pack 1 x64 (UAC is enabled) 
 Internet Explorer 9 
``````````````Antivirus/Firewall Check:``````````````
 Windows Firewall Enabled! 
Microsoft Security Essentials  
 Antivirus up to date! 
`````````Anti-malware/Other Utilities Check:`````````
 MVPS Hosts File 
 Secunia PSI (3.0.0.6005)  
 Malwarebytes Anti-Malware version 1.75.0.1300 
 Adobe Flash Player 11.7.700.169 
 Adobe Reader 10.1.6 Adobe Reader out of Date! 
 Google Chrome 26.0.1410.43 
 Google Chrome 26.0.1410.64 
````````Process Check: objlist.exe by Laurent```````` 
 Microsoft Security Essentials MSMpEng.exe
 Microsoft Security Essentials msseces.exe
 Malwarebytes Anti-Malware mbamservice.exe 
 Malwarebytes Anti-Malware mbamgui.exe 
 Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware mbamscheduler.exe  
`````````````````System Health check`````````````````
 Total Fragmentation on Drive C: 0%
````````````````````End of Log``````````````````````

#4 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,738 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2013 - 01:30 PM

It looks like you don't have any Java installed, which is perfectly fine.

My Website

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click DONATE

#5 Frankiejob

Frankiejob
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 149 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2013 - 01:47 PM

But JAVA is still on my computer. It's in program files, control panel, and uninstall programs under control panel list it.

Also Secunia still wants to update it saying, "you have a program that requires a manual update."

[EDIT] Oh, I forget to mention in my first post that I uninstalled the update because it had given me an error message. I was going to uninstall the main program also but decided to ask you guys first. Anyway should I just uninstall the non-updated file, and reinstall from JAVA and then see if Secunia complains? I can't figure why JAVA and or SECUNIA wants to update in the first place because it should be an automatic process.

Edited by Frankiejob, 20 April 2013 - 01:54 PM.

#6 zzz7

zzz7

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:01 PM

Posted 20 April 2013 - 04:26 PM

Java is probably the most insecure application you can possibly have on a computer. Most users will never need it and the only sites I've ever seen that do are some financial sites [which is comical] and game sites. Uninstall it and be done worrying about it.

#7 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,738 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2013 - 05:16 PM

But JAVA is still on my computer. It's in program files, control panel, and uninstall programs under control panel list it.

Since Security Check doesn't see it those are most likely registry leftovers.

Try....

...to remove old Java version and its remnants...

Download JavaRa to your desktop and unzip it.

• Run JavaRa.exe (Vista and 7 users! Right click on JavaRa.exe, click Run As Administrator), pick the language of your choice and click Select. Then click Remove Older Versions.
  • Accept any prompts.
  • Do NOT post JavaRa log.

My Website

#8 Frankiejob

Frankiejob
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 149 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2013 - 07:41 PM

Hi, I ran JavaRa, and the log file said "the error returned is 124"  Then I uninstalled Java through control panel. Java seems gone as there is no mention of it anywhere when I searched my computer.  But Secunia is still trying to update Java, which is not suppose to exist. So tried installing Java again to see if I could then uninstall it properly, which it did, but JavaRa still says "the error returned is 124." Note, after I installed Java the last couple time, I get this error message, "Browserlauncherror 3." But If you don't think it's malware problem, I could live with this for the time being. Thanks again.

Edited by Frankiejob, 20 April 2013 - 07:45 PM.

#9 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,738 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2013 - 09:06 PM

Secunia is really picky so I'd definitely not worry about Java issue.

My Website

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users