Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problem with XP mode crashing when I try to access a shared file location

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Adrian E

Adrian E

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:26 PM

Posted 20 April 2013 - 11:28 AM

Hi all

I've recently rebuilt my Win7 Pro 64 bit PC following a serious malware attack.  I've installed my OS and common programmes on a Crucial M4 128GB SSD and have a new 2TB HDD.  I've followed the various bits of advice about how to setup the BIOS for an SSD and the PC itself is running perfectly.

I need to be able to run XP mode due to having some legacy software which doesn't support 64 bit OS and this was working perfectly before rebuild.  I have installed XP mode and virtual PC direct off the MS site and to all intents and purposes it works (I'm typing this in XP mode!)

The problem I'm having is I can't access any of my shared drives, either the physical drives within the PC or my NAS drive connected to my router.  As soon as I double click in explorer to open a file location the VM shuts down and reboots.  I've got the minidump file in case anyone is able to give some advice on the possible cause and solution, but it won't allow me to upload it on here.  From the submitted error report it appears to be a driver issue, but that's as far as it gets with support from MS.

I've tried the obvious Google searches for any obvious similar events and I'm drawing a blank, but could be because I'm not aware of what to search for!  I can't help thinking this is somehow related to the SSD and/or BIOS settings required for that not working with the XP VM?

Any suggestions of where to start?!

Thanks

Adrian

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users