I have a pc infected with this virus. It is an older machine, running xp and with only 1 GB of memory. I followed the removal guide, as follows:
- downloaded Hitman Pro and creating a HitmanPro kickstart USB drive using another pc
- inserted usb drive in infected computer and powered up.
- at boot menu chose USB drive
- when Boot Options appeared, i entered the number "1" on the keyboard as instructed
- Booting continued and I saw the following on the screen:
Hitman Pro.Kickstart booting
- Windows came up, I chose the infected user
But once the FBI notice comes on the screen, I never get the Hitman Pro screen where I am supposed to click on next, or the screen where I opt for a one-time only scan. However, it DOES seem to be doing something - it "sounds" like something is processing and the hard drive light is blinking . . . Could it have skipped those steps because this software was used on this pc before? (I don't know if it has but it is possible.) Or has the malware figured a way to thwart Hitman Pro? I am wondering if I should turn off my machine and try again, or just let it run. This machine normally takes several hours to do a full scan. . Any advice provided will be appreciated.