Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC Randomly Restarting/Starting up with BSOD

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Lightningcount4

Lightningcount4

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:38 AM

Posted 20 April 2013 - 07:51 AM

This issue has been causing me to lose sleep and hair over the last few days. This post is a little long winded by necessity as its really the only way for people to know the full steps I took during this process.

All started when my computer was acting strange. It started to say I wasn't connected to the internet when I clearly was. (Talking in teamspeak) Then when it fixed itself, it just restarted suddenly. Thinking it was some kind of virus, I booted back up and ran the usual. (Rkill, TDSS Killer, Malware Bytes, Microsoft Sec essentials.) Things look find for a few hours then boom goes the dynamite it dies again. This time when it starts back up, it takes over 5 minutes to even take me to my user log in screen. Then I get a 1E BSOD. My computer has occasionally given me Bsods on startup before, but Ive always attributed it to viruses as virus scans always solved the problem. So I hit the reset, and it started back up just fine. I figured I missed something on my last scan so I ran them again, this time with super anti spyware and combofix as well just to be sure. After this, my PC appears stable again. I am able to run games, watch movies, and whatever else for a few hours. But then as I am about to go to bed my computer restarts.

Now Im thinking hardware. I run memtest and it checks out OK. I run HDD diagnostic tools and they all check out OK. I then run UBCD and load a linux kernal and run prime 95 overnight. Next morning, everything is OK. Run 3dmark stress test while i go to morning classes too and nothing happens. Thinking that maybe it was the power supply, I pulled my corsair 1kw PSU and one of my two video cards and put my Corsair 800w PSU. I then reformatted windows just to be sure. Right after the new install, It happens again. This time though when it comes back up, Im missing a hard drive when it was there before the restart. It was the drive I was using for my backup files so I definitely know it was there. So I open the case up and check the connections. Turns out I had a loose sata cable. At first I thought it happened when I pulled the PSU and video card. But after 2 days of stability, I figured it was always loose and it was only recently shook loose to the point of losing and regaining connection with the MOBO causing the restarts.

Things go great for two days. But then while im playing bioshock infinite, it restarts on me. After a few choice words to the computer gods later, I decide to just update my bios. After the BIOS update, I get an instant blue screen. Doesn't even tell me what kind it is. I see the blue screen, some text scrolls across, and instant restart. Next it comes up and I run startup repair. After thats done, It does the instant blue screen and restart on me again. After that I skipped the startup repair and just decided to start it up. Lo and Behold it started just fine. Its been running without restart for about 2 hours now.

I am at my wits end here with this machine. All of the hardware sans the mobo has been tested and shown to work. (Although I doubt its the mobo) Ive even gone so far as to put in a new surge protector. I seriously don't know whats wrong with this machine, and I kind of want to light it on fire right now. But thats probably just the sleep depravation talking here.

Hardware is Asus sabertooth 990fx, amd 1190t cpu, radeon 6890, 16g gskill 1333 10666 ram, 2 seagate 1tb HDDs. 2 WDC 5000aaks HDDs, and 2 hitachi 250 GB HDDs. And an OCZ vertex 3 SSD for my OS install.  (Newegg screwed up an order, all of those HDDs were suppsed to be WD) I am not running a raid setup. I am running windows ult sp1 64 bit. I will appreciate any help anyone can provide. May even name my 14th child after you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:38 AM

Posted 20 April 2013 - 10:44 AM

You are not new to this game of cat and mouse. Does the machine run stable with the spare drive disconnected ? If so it could be either connection or the cable itself.

#3 Lightningcount4

Lightningcount4
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2013 - 11:02 PM

I havent tried that yet. Although I did just get my first restart after the bios update. I will replace the sata cable with another one fresh out of the packaging.

EDIT: So I have narrowed it down to two things. Either the Video Card, or the Hard drive in question. It is a fairly new hard drive, about 2 weeks old.

I noticed that the PC restarts while I am playing games, or messing with that hard drive. Its restarted on me twice while playing eve online, which is not installed on that drive, once while watching netflix, and several times while playing war thunder and bioshock infinite. Both of those are installed on the drive in question. I also got a restart a couple of times while transferring files from that drive.

Im almost certain its that drive, but it could also be the video card. Idk yet. Im gonna try something a little drastic. Ill post results later.

Edited by Lightningcount4, 21 April 2013 - 12:41 AM.

#4 Lightningcount4

Lightningcount4
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2013 - 04:09 AM

Sorry for Double post. I think ive found it. With the hard drive disconnected, its been stable for 3 hours of straight gaming. Something I was unable to do beforehand. Going ot keep going all night just to make sure.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users