Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer makes static sound and freezes the system

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 MasterSplint3r

MasterSplint3r

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:30 AM

Posted 20 April 2013 - 06:16 AM

Hi there, i've been having this problem for quite a while. The system i am currently running is Windows 7 x86 sp1, with DDR2 3gb of ram (2gb + 1gb) on a Foxconn G31MV/G31MV-K analysed with cpu-z (attached files). The system would freeze at random intervals mostly after a buzzing/static/popping sound with the only resolution being a hold of the front power button.

Complete System diagnostic

Included in Isolation Zone
Motherboard (mini): Most likely reason for causing static sound due to the primary evidence of Static Background Sound emitting from External speaker system (Logitech) only when directly plugged into motherboard itself (green audio socket). When diagnosed through a HDMI speaker interface (Internal speaker system; Samsung TV), no signs of static background noise present however System Freeze still prominent throughout testing.
Power Supply Unit: Replacement undertaken but no difference, same results of freeze and static sound
Ram: Tested both ram sticks together and separately, system freeze still occuring.
Excluded from Isolation Zone
Hard drive: Displays no signs towards freezing (sata and power cable inserted correctly) even after replacement.
Graphical Processing Unit: Shows no likeliness towards freezing and/or static sound after replacement and latest driver installation.
Also, the freezing is still present in safe mode which gives more of a hardware problem feel.

Attached Files

• Attached File  gpu.png   39.18KB   0 downloads
  • Attached File  ram.png   30.4KB   0 downloads
  • Attached File  cpu.png   44.9KB   0 downloads
  • Attached File  mobo.png   36.29KB   0 downloads

Edited by MasterSplint3r, 20 April 2013 - 06:37 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:30 PM

Posted 20 April 2013 - 09:43 AM

Some ideas :

Household outlet properly grounded ?

Check capacitors on motherboard for signs of bulging or leaking.

Grounding issue between case and motherboard ? Remove from case and bench test with minimum components.

#3 MasterSplint3r

MasterSplint3r
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2013 - 10:06 AM

Thanks for the response caperdog. The outlet is fully grounded. I'm not so good at precision in terms of the onboard components on the motherboard. The motherboard is held over the case by brass standoffs and I believe it to be securely grounded. For the bench idea, I just setup my system without the additional components and the freezing still occurs, however on the initial system arrangement I moved the ram sticks and gpu around to further fasten them onto the board and ran a Windows memory diagnostic test. I am currently testing all components by gaming and so far the video and audio is functioning normally. Its a vague theory but maybe the memory diagnostic did the job, and/or the movement of the ram or gpu?

#4 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:30 PM

Posted 20 April 2013 - 10:33 AM

Hopefully the re-seating of the ram and gpu have solved the problem. Let us know.

#5 MasterSplint3r

MasterSplint3r
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2013 - 11:30 PM

Thanks for the support caperdog. I believe the main cause for the loopy behaviour of my system is due to the pci-e x16 lane on the motherboard. This part of my motherboard is causing the gpu's incorrect seating and thus being the root to all other kinds of problems such as the audio static abnormalities which i tested to be correct due to the motherboard audio jack's random disconnection to my audio input cable however as soon as i press down on my gpu (fair amount of pressure), the audio static goes away and the computer runs normally. I guess my best bet would be to look into a new motherboard.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users