Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

system restore FAIL - bsod's - replaced hd - must be the mobo?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 mayxents

mayxents

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:27 PM

Posted 20 April 2013 - 04:09 AM

my vaio is beautiful, and very, very old, and has been a very good teacher these past few weeks 

quick background: my vgn-sr290 running windows xp has been horribly abused by viruses, malware, and the general mistreatment resulting from living in china; but we found a happy medium - she ran slow and clunky, refused to open certain programs some of the time, disappeared basic tools at random like calculator and paint, and needed to be turned off twice to actually turn off, and required frequent system restores in order to run at all, and i was able to use my very basic programs (a word processor, a web-browser, a vpn, and malwarebytes anti-malware)

but then, the initial fatal action: i shut my computer off in the middle of a system restore that was taking unusually obscenely long (typical was 20-30 minutes; she was hitting an hour and wasn't even halfway there)

d'oh

after that, it would appear to start windows (i could enter my password and it would proceed) but nothing would ever actually load besides the desktop background; the only thing that ever opened were frequent dll errors; but from there, i was able to use keyboard commands to navigate my data (files and folders), but could not actually open any programs or files - so i saved data that hadn't yet been backed up and started troubleshooting

i uploaded the dll's it said i was missing from a usb and confirmed through hours of searching that they were the correct and compatible ones, but no improvement

i tried and troubleshooted system-restore related resolutions to no avail

it ended up coming to formatting the hard drive and doing a clean OS install

but, i continued getting bsod's "windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer" "uninstall new hard drives" "check for viruses" and "run chdsk /f" after hours of testing things out in safe mode, msdos (what a throwback that was), and fooling with bios options - last known good setup, etc

i did all of the above and more (i can't remember every single thing, it was a few weeks ago now), including check disk, and came to the conclusion that the hd itself was bad, so i bought a brand new one, a toshiba replacement made specifically for the vgn-sr290 i have

attempting to install it today (finding out on the way that some hd's have those four male pins for old school power supplies - irrelevant but interesting), i popped the windows xp disc in, popped the hd in, and got the same exact bsod error as above

i made sure to boot from the cd-rom drive, and i tried multiple times, i checked and rechecked that the connectors were snug and in alignment 

after some searching online, i tried just loading windows from the cd without the hard drive in at all (is that even possible?) and got the same exact bsod

i am unable to use any bios commands (f keys), and the computer will only automatically jump to loading from the cd; i am now unable to interrupt the booting process at all, and it always leads to the same bsod

after more searching online, it sounds like it was never the hd in the first place (alas - most likely ultimately amounting to an initial user malfunction), and may perhaps be the motherboard who has bit the dust

if the install had worked, this would have been her 3rd hard drive

two questions:

one - am i missing something huge? (i've reviewed hd compatibility issues using the helpful links in this section of the forum too)

two - if it is the mobo, i hear it is best to just buy a new pc (and indeed, i need one sooner than i can fix it); however, i like playing with electronics and hope to figure out how to fully fix this puppy - would the mobo be the next thing to check?

many thanks,

may

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,398 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2013 - 02:34 PM

What media were used to do the reinstall?

Did you check the functional status of the hard drive...before said install effort?

Why didn't you just buy a new, larger hard drive?

Louis

#3 mayxents

mayxents
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2013 - 06:58 AM

Hi Luis

Thanks for your help on this super rudimentary stuff

I just used the vgn-sr290 to attemp the reinstall, mostly because that is all I had at hand, and a working Windows XP disc in said pc's cd-rom (I thought I should have to format the hd first, and had planned on tooling around in BIOS for a while before attempting anything at all, but like I mentioned more eloquently above, she just goes right into sh*t mode) 

Same for the brand new hd - nothing to test it on or with besides the existing defunct pc

Sounds like I need to buy some toys so I can actually check the gear - goody!  

My first thought is to get an external hd case and pop the new hd into that, plug it in (via USB assumedly) into the new pc (slim chance this new hd is corrupted [yet] with the same gunk on the old one, although it might be defunct) OR, is it possible to check the new and old hd's using a netbook? How would I do that if so? Because I'd like to isolate/protect the new pc as much as possible

My second thought is, is it possible to just buy the hd connector itself, without getting housing? I think I might be starting a new little hobby here, and would love to help friends in the future, so, I'd want to get what's most versatile for future use

What would you recommend in this case?

The brand new hd I got is upgraded in size only - since this was the first time I'd attempted installing a new hd completely by myself, I didn't want to futz with too many other variables so I could better isolate the problem and learn from it

Thanks again

may

Edited by mayxents, 24 April 2013 - 07:16 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users