Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HP dv9700 from hell!

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Bryan Mohr

Bryan Mohr

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:02 PM

Posted 20 April 2013 - 12:21 AM

I got this dv9723cl as a trade-in for another machine. The customer said that it kept powering off randomly. Ok, no problem, probably just needs some cleaning and some new thermal paste, right? Nope.

First I did just that. Cleaned out all the vents, took apart the fan assembly and cleaned very well in there. Removed the old thermal paste and applied new. All the standard stuff. Put it back together (big mistake), powered it on, it booted into Windows, ran for about 5 or 10 minutes (this was from a cold start) then just shut itself off. No warning or anything, but it did seems like it got shut down just as it was starting to beep. There was like a fraction of a second of a high pitched sound before nothing. The fan never even sped up or anything. It just kep right on spinning at a normal speed until it powered off.

Ok, well maybe there's an issue with the power jack. Tested the voltage and it looked good but decided to replace it anyway because the jack did seem slightly loose. Same problem.

Replaced the power supply with a brand new original HP power supply for that exact machine. Same problem.

Replaced the CPU, heatsink, and then a brand new fan. Same problem.

Replaced the RAM. Same problem.

Then I replaced the motherboard ... twice! Same problem.

Replaced the battery, even though this happens with or without the battery installed. Same problem.

Yes, I've spent about 3 or 4 times what the thing is worth just trying to get it to run consistently. I could have built a new one or two if I would have just bought the plastics!

The only parts that have not been swapped out are the hard drive, the lcd assembly (including cable), the power button switch, and the plastics. That's not to say that somewhere along the line I didn't replace a bad piece with another bad piece accidentally because that's really about the only explanation I can come up with now for why this thing refuses to work.

This is no longer about just trying to refurbish and resell the machine. This is personal now! I can't let this one laptop beat me! Can anyone offer any kind of advice? Anything to look for? Any suggestions (except "give up") are gratefully accepted.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,223 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:02 AM

Posted 20 April 2013 - 12:33 AM

Well there's really only the continued process of elimination - once it's booted up, have you tried disconnecting the power switch to see if it still powers itself off? Or does it ever shut off if you turn on with no hard drive and just leave it on the failed boot screen?

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 Bryan Mohr

Bryan Mohr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2013 - 01:05 AM

Well there's really only the continued process of elimination - once it's booted up, have you tried disconnecting the power switch to see if it still powers itself off? Or does it ever shut off if you turn on with no hard drive and just leave it on the failed boot screen?

Ok, just tried both of those suggestions with the same results. One thing I also did though, since it's not closed up right now I could watch the temperature at the cpu using my ir thermometer. It got up to 150 degree fahrenheit, the shut down. But it's got brand new arctic silver on the cpu (I've done a lot of laptops so I'm relatively certain that the application is good) and the fan, cpu and heatsink are brand new. The motherboard was used, but the guy I got it from I've gotten several boards from before and he assures me that this one tested fine.

oops! I made a mistake above. It's the GPU that is getting to 150. The CPU is right about 95 degrees when it shuts down. Unfortunately there is no heatsink over the GPU in these guys. And this is just sitting at the "Operating system not found" message. I've actually checked a few times now and the machine seems to consistently shut off when the GPU reaches 150-152 degrees.

Any ideas for cooling off the GPU?

Edited by Bryan Mohr, 20 April 2013 - 01:36 AM.

#4 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,223 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:02 AM

Posted 20 April 2013 - 02:11 AM

Hmm, unless there is actually supposed to be some cooling that has been left out when the laptop has been dismantled on a previous occasion, the most likely thing I can point to is that the nVidia GeForce 7150M GPU is part of the known series of overheating/failing chips as discussed here for example:

http://www.nvidiadefect.com/hp-dv6552ea-nvidia-geforce-7150m-faulty-t732.html

http://www.nvidiadefect.com/hp-pavilion-dv6525em-t2420.html

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01302421&tmp_task=prodinfoCategory&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&product=3647022

Edited by Platypus, 20 April 2013 - 02:12 AM.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#5 Bryan Mohr

Bryan Mohr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2013 - 02:39 AM

Yeah, I've had to reflow several of these dv's because of that issue. Nope, no missing cooling. It does seem strange that the GPU is getting that hot with nothing using it though. I'm leaning towards yet another bad motherboard. Normally I just see the off/on/off cycle that is associated with the GPU issue so I never thought about checking the temp with nothing going on.

#6 Wooshie

Wooshie

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2013 - 05:32 AM

copper shim mod may help or there is a revised chipset that can be reballed onto the motherboard. They run cooler but are a total pain in the ass to change.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users