Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I *thought* I'd saved my files, but...

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Runwiththewolf

Runwiththewolf

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:48 PM

Posted 19 April 2013 - 09:49 PM

I'm very confused on how to properly use my WD Passport external drive, but I Really need to save my music & photos. When I 1st got my Passport, I installed it & everything indicated to me that my files were being saved. I saw the file numbers growing, so I assumed all was well. I can't find a single one now.

But before I do anything, is there a way to tell if they're "hidden" somewhere on the drive?

Can someone please walk me through the process step by step? I'd hate to lose All my files.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,266 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2013 - 10:00 PM

So you ran the sync program and it appeared the files were syncing to the Passport drive. When you try to locate your files, how are you accessing the external drive? If you click on the Passport icon, can you see any folders? Passport will take your synced files and save them in a folder labelled smartware.swstor if you used Smartware to back it up.

#3 Runwiththewolf

Runwiththewolf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2013 - 10:08 PM

I clicked on *every* single folder & saw nothing. When I plugged it back in, I got the initial pop-up window that asked for what I wanted to do (eg: view files, etc), clicked on that, saw nothing. What on earth was the Passprt *doing* when I used it the 1st time?

#4 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,266 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2013 - 10:14 PM

Hard to say. If you go to the Start menu and click on Computer, can you see the Passport drive when it's attached to the PC? Can you access files on the Passport from there?

At least the originals are still on your hard drive. The only advice I can offer at this point it to try syncing them again.

#5 Runwiththewolf

Runwiththewolf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2013 - 10:20 PM

Well, I *might* be screwed. I put everything on the Passport before doing a reformat to my hard drive.   :mellow:  Everything was wiped.

I *can* see the Passport when it's attached to my PC though & that's how I'd tried to access my (nonexistent) files.

#6 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,266 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2013 - 10:26 PM

I think I see the issue now. The Passport was synced to the previous HD, so it can't find the originals on your hard drive because the originals are gone -- and that may be why you're not seeing them on the Passport. My understanding is Passport is not like a regular "copy" from one drive or partition to another.

I'm sure the files are on the Passport somewhere, but they're probably saved in some proprietary format Western Digital uses. I'm not aware of any recovery tools that might be useful in this regard. A tech support call to WD may be in order.

Sorry I can't be more helpful.

#7 Runwiththewolf

Runwiththewolf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2013 - 10:32 PM

Possibly, except the laptop I'm using is the only one I'd ever used with the Passport. The Passport is pretty new.

No, you have been helpful & patient. Thanks for pointing in the right direction!

#8 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,266 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2013 - 10:43 PM

Because of the reformat of your hard drive, the original files you were syncing are gone. I'm thinking this is a security feature -- if you were to lose the Passport, or if it were stolen, anyone could plug it into their computer and gain access to all your files.

Is there a recovery option available? Were you at any point prompted to create a password when you first installed it? If not, may be time to call WD.

You're welcome.

#9 TulsaRose

TulsaRose

• Members
  • 367 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:48 PM

Posted 20 April 2013 - 01:47 PM

Maybe you can find a solution in the User Manual?  

WinXP Pro sp3 \ Firefox, Panda, MBAM, SAS, SpywareBlaster

#10 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,266 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2013 - 02:02 PM

Only problem is Runwiththewolf says there aren't any files visible when they click on the drive icon -- which means even the password recovery option isn't available. Did you have any luck recovering your files?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users