Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

how to install Windows XP on a PC with 500GB hard drive?

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 questionss

questionss

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:29 AM

Posted 19 April 2013 - 03:50 PM

I've downloaded the ISO for service pack 3 but XP will not install correctly on my PC because the hard drive is too big.  How can I install it on my PC with 500GB hard drive?

Please respond only with step by step instructions.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TwinHeadedEagle

TwinHeadedEagle

• Security Colleague
  • 351 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:29 PM

Posted 19 April 2013 - 04:19 PM

What error did you get?

#3 questionss

questionss
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2013 - 05:21 PM

No error, it only recognizes a small part of the drive, isntead of the full 500GB.

Edited by questionss, 19 April 2013 - 05:21 PM.

#4 .X.

.X.

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:29 AM

Posted 19 April 2013 - 05:32 PM

So you want to use the entire 500 gigs just for XP?

Is this what you downloaded?

Edited by .X., 19 April 2013 - 05:38 PM.

#5 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,203 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:29 PM

Posted 19 April 2013 - 05:45 PM

If you are installing the original release XP without any service packs, intending to subsequently update the Service Pack, that will cause only (approx) 128GB to be available. That's the most likely scenario I can see to cause the symptom you describe, unless the computer itself is old enough to not implement 48 bit LBA, in which case a drive that large can't be used fully unless a BIOS update is available.

If the cause is lack of Service Pack level in the basic XP install, the simplest solution is to install onto the smaller partition (which is plenty for a system partition). Then after raising to SP3 (SP1a will have to be applied first), make the remainder into a second partition, or expand the partition.

More detail of exactly how you're going about the installation will let us do less guessing.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#6 questionss

questionss
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2013 - 07:08 PM

So you want to use the entire 500 gigs just for XP?

Is this what you downloaded?

Of course I do.  I want it all available (not used) by XP.  I can't be sure but it seems like what I downloaded.

#7 questionss

questionss
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2013 - 07:11 PM

If you are installing the original release XP without any service packs, intending to subsequently update the Service Pack, that will cause only (approx) 128GB to be available. That's the most likely scenario I can see to cause the symptom you describe, unless the computer itself is old enough to not implement 48 bit LBA, in which case a drive that large can't be used fully unless a BIOS update is available.

If the cause is lack of Service Pack level in the basic XP install, the simplest solution is to install onto the smaller partition (which is plenty for a system partition). Then after raising to SP3 (SP1a will have to be applied first), make the remainder into a second partition, or expand the partition.

More detail of exactly how you're going about the installation will let us do less guessing.

I'm able to install Linux on it and it works fine and makes the entire disk available.  I can install Windows 7 on it too, just fine with the entire disk available.

I would like to know if there is a way to download and ISO and just install XP so that my entire disk is available under it without any custom partitions or tricks.  I want to use XP so I can run old drivers that aren't available for Windows Vist/7/8.

#8 .X.

.X.

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:29 AM

Posted 19 April 2013 - 07:24 PM

I can't be sure but it seems like what I downloaded.

Well were did you download it from? Is the filename xpsp3_5512.080413-2113_usa_x86fre_spcd.iso?

I would like to know if there is a way to download and[sic] ISO and just install XP...

No, you must purchase XP or recovery disks from your manufacturer.

Edited by .X., 19 April 2013 - 07:27 PM.

#9 questionss

questionss
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2013 - 07:26 PM

I can't be sure but it seems like what I downloaded.

Well were did you download it from? Is the filename xpsp3_5512.080413-2113_usa_x86fre_spcd.iso?

From Microsoft, but it was months ago so I don't remember the details.  Why?  Are you saying your link works?

#10 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,203 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2013 - 07:29 PM

If the XP you're initially installing is starting out at least at SP1 level, then it should work immediately and see the entire drive. If the XP is the original release with no service packs (sometimes called XP Gold) then the smaller limitation will apply unless you make a slipstream disc incorporating the service pack.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/slipstreaming-windows-xp-to-create-bootable-cd/

If this is the situation I think it might be less complicated overall to install XP onto the small partition, update the Service Packs (you'd need to get SP1a as well) then extend the smaller partition out to fill the drive, using a third party partition manager.

Edited by Platypus, 19 April 2013 - 07:36 PM.

#11 questionss

questionss
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2013 - 07:41 PM

If the XP you're initially installing is starting out at least at SP1 level, then it should work immediately and see the entire drive. If the XP is the original release with no service packs (sometimes called XP Gold) then the smaller limitation will apply unless you make a slipstream disc incorporating the service pack.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/slipstreaming-windows-xp-to-create-bootable-cd/

If this is the situation I think it might be less complicated overall to install XP onto the small partition, update the Service Packs (you'd need to get SP1a as well) then extend the smaller partition out to fill the drive, using a third party partition manager.

I've tried an original sp1 (that I've had for years) and sp3 that i downloaded, both don't see the disk.  I guess the partition is the only way.

#12 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,203 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2013 - 07:47 PM

Do you mean you've installed XP onto the small partition, then installed SP1 or SP3? If so, after doing that you will then need to either enlarge the partition with a third party partition manager, after which XP will happily use it, or create a second partition to fill the rest of the drive. After the service packs are installed, XP will offer the rest of the drive as unallocated space in Disk Management.

Having separate partitions is a good management practice anyway, simplifying backup, defrag and other drive and file system maintenance.

#13 questionss

questionss
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2013 - 07:53 PM

Do you mean you've installed XP onto the small partition, then installed SP1 or SP3? If so, after doing that you will then need to either enlarge the partition with a third party partition manager, after which XP will happily use it, or create a second partition to fill the rest of the drive. After the service packs are installed, XP will offer the rest of the drive as unallocated space in Disk Management.

Having separate partitions is a good management practice anyway, simplifying backup, defrag and other drive and file system maintenance.

I mean I tried XP and it installed onto the small partition.  I didn't think about messing with the partition later.  I don't want a custom partitition even if its a good idea.   Are there any free partition managers that can do it?  What's the process to upgrade to sp3?

#14 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,203 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2013 - 08:04 PM

Several free utilities should be able to do the job. Easus is often recommended:

http://download.cnet.com/Easeus-Partition-Master-Free-Edition/3000-2248_4-10863346.html

Once you create a CD from the SP3 iso, the disc should contain either a large .EXE file with a KB number (just run it), or a bunch of files including a SETUP.EXE, run that. There will also be a lot more updates to be done online...

#15 questionss

questionss
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2013 - 08:09 PM

Several free utilities should be able to do the job. Easus is often recommended:

http://download.cnet.com/Easeus-Partition-Master-Free-Edition/3000-2248_4-10863346.html

Once you create a CD from the SP3 iso, the disc should contain either a large .EXE file with a KB number (just run it), or a bunch of files including a SETUP.EXE, run that. There will also be a lot more updates to be done online...

can SP3 update be done via the update manager? or it must be done from a CD ?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users