Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

The start menu has an issue. And so does restart.

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 cccv

cccv

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:26 PM

Posted 19 April 2013 - 01:49 PM

I really don't know how to explain the problems better than that in one line, so I'm sorry for the vague title.

I have windows 7 home premium 64 bit.

I had to replace my hard disk not long ago, and since then the start menu seems to have lost a little functionality.

For example, the search bar in the start menu no longer finds things in my program files folder.  In the start menu properties under "search other files and libraries" I do have "search with public folders" selected and "search programs and control panel" checked.

For another example: the microsoft word icon in my recently opened programs area no longer displays a menu of the most recently opened documents.  The steam icon, however, does display the recently opened games.  I have the "number of recent items to display in jump lists" set to 10.

Another example: it's suddenly being picky about what it chooses to display in the top area that shows the programs I recently opened.  I opened microsoft word a billion times, but it wasn't until I opened it from the start menu rather than the shortcut on my desktop that it finally showed up.  Anything I open from program files or anywhere else from the C drive doesn't show up.  If I can't get to it directly from the program list in the start menu and open it from there, I can't get it in the recently opened programs by any means other than forceably pinning it to the start menu.

I have both "store and display recently opened items in the start menu and task bar" and "store and display recently opened programs" checked in the properties. 

So I don't know what the start menu's problem is.

Slightly more troubling is that restart no longer works.  The monitor goes off but not the PC, and I end up having to turn the power off on the PC manually.  So now I have to shut it down and turn it back on rather than restart.  The work-around doesn't seem like that big of a deal, but I'm still concerned because that shouldn't be happening.

Any ideas on what's going on with either issue?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users