Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Shall I write off my flickering monitor?

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 MickinPlymouthUK

MickinPlymouthUK

• Members
  • 683 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:22 PM

Posted 19 April 2013 - 01:38 PM

Groan, after working fine for 4 years my HannsG 281D 28" monitor has started flickering so what do you recommend I do, should I take it down the local comp shop and ask them to try to fix it, or should I dump it and buy a new one?

I mean, if it's starting to show signs of old age maybe I shouldn't bother trying to get it fixed?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 GreenGiant117

GreenGiant117

• Members
  • 294 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:22 AM

Posted 19 April 2013 - 01:48 PM

Flickering like picture flickers in and out or flickers as in power fails to it intermittently?

#3 MickinPlymouthUK

MickinPlymouthUK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 683 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2013 - 06:01 PM

My spare monitor doesn't flicker using the same power and video leads so the fault presumaby lies in the monitor itself. 

Here's a screenshot of the flickering, I've selected the blank blue desktop so it shows up better for this post, basically I'm getting those shimmering flickering light bands across the screen. I  get them whatever I'm doing such as surfing the net, playing games etc, the pictures are there and can be seen but they're overlaid by the annoying bands.

flicker.gif

Edited by MickinPlymouthUK, 20 April 2013 - 08:04 AM.

#4 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,975 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:22 AM

Posted 19 April 2013 - 07:04 PM

A symptom like that could well be caused by the LVDS cable connections within the monitor, as discussed here:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/378732/lcd-monitor-problem/?p=2130824

If either yourself or a technical friend are capable of investigating this, it's a feasible repair. Likewise a service center should not make a large charge if this is the cause. However there would probably be a minimum fee for professional service if that's not the cause, and the actual repair is discovered to be too costly e.g. LCD panel fault.

Edited by Platypus, 19 April 2013 - 07:06 PM.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#5 MickinPlymouthUK

MickinPlymouthUK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 683 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2013 - 08:25 PM

Okay thanks I'll take it down the shop to investigate and suggest they look at the LVDS connections.

They've already had 60 GB pounds / 90 US dollars off me this month for fixing an overheating issue in one computer and a power supply issue in another, and now this monitor issue's surfaced, I've never been hit by a triple-whammy all in the space of a few weeks!

"When sorrows come, they come not single spies
But in battalions"- King Claudius in Hamlet

#6 MickinPlymouthUK

MickinPlymouthUK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 683 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2013 - 08:31 AM

Incidentally, if I do have to buy a new monitor, i'll be playing fast-moving flight sims on it a lot of the time so should I get one that says on the box  "for gaming" like some do? Are "gaming" monitors really faster than standard monitors or is it just advertising hype?

I can foresee the shop saying to me "Sorry, we haven't got any gaming monitors at the moment but we've got standard types and you'll be quite alright with one of them"  so should I take their word for it? 

PS- and some monitors are called "LCD" and others are called "TFT LCD" which should I go for? 

#7 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,975 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2013 - 08:54 AM

TFT (Thin Film Transistor) is the normal technology for LCD video panels, so whether it's specifically included in the description or not, you can expect "LCD" to imply TFT.

By rights a "gaming" monitor should have a good response time specification for the panel and also not introduce latency (signal delay) that can occur with some processing "enhancements" used for multimedia. At least there should be options to turn such processing off.

Someone who is a gamer might be able to make some less general observations than I can provide.

#8 MickinPlymouthUK

MickinPlymouthUK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 683 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2013 - 08:30 PM

Thanks, I'm asking around..:)

PS- As a matter of interest, do bigger monitors (28" or so) create extra workload for the PC processor, possibly making it overheat and grunt  and reducing its lifespan?

"To grunt and sweat under a weary life.."- Hamlet

#9 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,975 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2013 - 07:56 PM

No, the actual screen size doesn't make any difference, but if the larger screen has a higher resolution and the game is running at that higher resolution, you can expect to get a lower frame rate.

LOL at grunting computer...

Edited by Platypus, 22 April 2013 - 07:58 PM.

#10 MickinPlymouthUK

MickinPlymouthUK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 683 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2013 - 09:44 AM

Update- I asked the shop if they could fix my flickering out-of-warranty Hanns G 281D 28" monitor and they said they'd "look at it" for £50 (75 US dollars) which sounds a bit steep.
So I'm undecided whether to let them look at it or just write it off and buy a brandnew smaller monitor for around £120.
I mean, even if they fix my 28" it's 4 years old and might get a whole string of age-related issues one after another from now on and I don't fancy having to keep pumping cash into it to prop it up, what do Bleeping members recommend I do?
I bought it for about £200 and it seems a shame to just dump it.

Edited by MickinPlymouthUK, 26 May 2013 - 09:46 AM.

#11 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,975 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2013 - 10:38 PM

That sounds a bit high for an inspection fee (more than we charge at work), but I think costs are higher in the UK. Probably about what would be charged here in the capital city market though...

Anyone in your circle an electronics hobbyist, radio ham or the like who could take a look at it for you?

#12 MickinPlymouthUK

MickinPlymouthUK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 683 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2013 - 02:24 PM

That sounds a bit high for an inspection fee (more than we charge at work), but I think costs are higher in the UK. Probably about what would be charged here in the capital city market though...
Anyone in your circle an electronics hobbyist, radio ham or the like who could take a look at it for you?

In a perfect world I'd know a private individual who could help me out but I don't know any (sniffle)
The shop said they "don't usually" repair monitors, so presumably they're making an exception in my case because they see a chance to milk me of £50.
PS-I turned 65 recently so will pop in and play the "pensioner card" by pleading poverty to try to talk down the charge.. :)

Edited by MickinPlymouthUK, 28 May 2013 - 02:25 PM.

#13 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,904 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2013 - 05:33 PM

Hi Mick,

Don't give up hope - I've just had a look at the link referenced above and the job seems fairly simple, even if a bit of care and gentility is required. I too have a Hanns monitor and a quick look at the back shows it is held on with cross-head screws, so no special tools needed to get in.

Cotton buds and isopropyl alchohol for cleaning, and you can get that from your local chemist, and you should be good to go.

I haven't tried getting into my monitor - it ain't broke, so I don't want to fix it - but I would definitely have a go at self help first. £ 50 is a good step on the way to a new monitor. If it does come down to a new monitor there was a fairly lengthy discussion of this recently somewhere in this forum, and Hanns seem to have a fairly good reputation.

Chris Cosgrove

#14 MickinPlymouthUK

MickinPlymouthUK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 683 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2013 - 10:54 PM

UPDATE-- Thanks for the advice guys but I've decided to write it off (sniffle). Last straw was when I recently connected it up again and found that not only is the flickering still there, but now to find that the control panel options won't work, so there's no way to adjust cotrast and brightness and other things.

So I'm left with a £350 (550 US dollars) piece of junk destined for the rubbish skip, at least it gave me 4 years of service 

#15 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:22 AM

Posted 19 June 2013 - 01:26 PM

Hi, have you considered looking at a HDTV as a monitor?

I just picked up a new $169 US 24 inch 1080P monitor that had HDMI and VGA inputs. It would be perfect as a computer display. I spent recently $189 US for a 32 Inch HDTV that has VGA inputs as well as all the other standard inputs. I used that one as a gift. Maybe that would be a less expensive way to get a large monitor.

For what its worth, I've been using my TV as my only display for Satellite TV, Media Player, BluRay player, Computer display and DVD recorder display for a couple of years.

Good Luck

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users