Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Increase speed; windows 7 self-built pc

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#1 ssgt.usaf

ssgt.usaf

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:36 PM

Posted 19 April 2013 - 12:23 PM

My motherboard is supposed to be very good.  I've already sent it back once to have a glitch with the RAM slots repaired. 

The problem is its speed: it is slower than my 10-year-old Dell with half the RAM and half the CPU processing speed.

What information do you need to help me with it?

Motherboard: Gigabyte M68MT-S2 BIOS FC

CPU: AMD Athlon II X2 260  3.2MHz Regor

RAM: Kingston HyperX 2GB 240-Pin DDR III 1333 SDRAM KHX1333C7AD3/2G

Chipset: NVIDIA® GeForce 7025/nForce 630a chipset

Integrated NVIDIA CineFX 3.0 graphics

Hard drive: Seagate Barracude 7200.9 500GB SATA 3.0 Gb/s

As an aside: how do I remove the hyperlinks that appear when I cut/copy and paste information?

Edited by hamluis, 20 April 2013 - 11:51 AM.
Moved from System Building to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,101 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:36 PM

Posted 20 April 2013 - 11:48 AM

<<The problem is its speed: it is slower than my 10-year-old Dell with half the RAM and half the CPU processing speed.>>

That likely isn't true...if the programs installed on each system are the same.  Comparing a system with a different load of programs...isn't really a fair comparison.  Windows routinely is very vast without the bloat that some users inflict on themselves.

Add to that the fact that you are running Win 7 with half of the commonly-accepted RAM used by many...and your old system may be running a different O/S...I'm not sure a comparison can be made without running some sort of stress test available on each system.

Louis

#3 ssgt.usaf

ssgt.usaf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2013 - 09:12 PM

My Dell is running Windows 7.  My new pc is S L O W.  It takes over two minutes to boot.  If I am playing a game on a networking site, it takes forever to load and is slow to play.  The Dell, on the other hand, runs the same games with no problem.  The Dell has twice as many software items on it, such as games, and it still boots faster and runs faster. 

I just wanted to know if there were ways to speed the performance as it runs slower than my Tandy 1000.

#4 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:36 PM

Posted 20 April 2013 - 09:58 PM

Goes back to, your still only running 2 gigs of ram on that system, thats not much for  windows 7, if your dell was running XP, and your programs are memory intensive that maybe why-your dell has more free memory, because XP doesnt use as much memory as windows 7. Upgrading the ram might help. It might be a low grade networking controller, thats a lower end nvidia chipset, they don't have the best networking controllers.

To be able to give you better advice, it would be helpful if you would list the exact specs of your dell, and what specific games your running, as well as performance matching such as frame rate, load times, etc between the two computers. Without those it is difficult to give exact advice on to how to fix the issues.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#5 anyrepli

anyrepli

• Members
  • 160 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2013 - 07:53 AM

There are two versions of your motherboard:

v1.3 - Doesn't appear to support your CPU natively and there is no BIOS update available

v3.1 - Does support you CPU natively and there is also a BIOS upgrade available.

Note: v3.1 appears to be a major hardware revision

Update: I assume you must have a v3.1 motherboard because you stated your BIOS revision was FC; however, I'm hoping your board is v3.1; yes?

Edited by anyrepli, 22 April 2013 - 08:57 AM.

#6 ssgt.usaf

ssgt.usaf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2013 - 06:14 AM

It's 4GB of RAM.  There are two sticks of 2GB.  Maybe I will downgrade to Windows XP.  I just know that my dad has the same exact setup and his runs very fast (yes, I built that one, also).  Mine is a turtle.  My version of my motherboard is 3.1.  I used the list of supported CPU to find one to purchase.  My Dell was off-the-rack 8300 with Windows XP, that I upgraded to Windows 7.  The only decent thing it had that was unexpected was a Seagate hard drive.  (My current Seagate hard drive is crap.  It is so loud, I would wrap a muffler around it, but I don't want my pc to overheat.  I can hear every tick and click from another room.) 

So: both systems run the same OS.  Both systems have the same programs and games.  Actually, the Dell has Solsuite 2012 on it, but I haven't transferred it to the new one.  When I built the new pc, I installed all the software I own and the games from big fish games.  As you can see, I was not comparing apples to oranges. 

All I know is that this pc, named Odi, takes over three minutes to boot, loads graphic-intense games such as Farmville very slowly, if at all, and, what really gets me is: when I right-click on a link, it takes at least five seconds for the menu to open.  That is why I am asking for help.  As I said, not a single one of my other pcs, other than the Dell Inspiron 600m, is so slow.  Even it boots faster.  In Mozilla, what should be icons with images are just blank icons when I open a new tab. 

Maybe it's Mozilla's Firefox that is the problem. 

Edited by ssgt.usaf, 23 April 2013 - 06:26 AM.

#7 anyrepli

anyrepli

• Members
  • 160 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2013 - 06:49 AM

OK; I just wanted to verify your version of that motherboard. Now, there is something wrong with either your hardware or software configuration (most likely) and (I believe) it is fixable so here is the first thing I would recommend: First, unplug your internet connection. Next, click Start, Run, and type "msconfig" (without the quotes) and hit return. Now click the Startup Tab (in the newly opened window) and uncheck all startup programs. Once done, reboot and test for any speed improvement.

#8 ssgt.usaf

ssgt.usaf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2013 - 08:51 AM

Will do.  I will be opening this forum on my laptop, so I can follow the directions.

#9 anyrepli

anyrepli

• Members
  • 160 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2013 - 08:54 AM

Ok. Again, I think this issue is resolvable so I will switch to my Windows 7 laptop so I can see what you see (from an OS perspective).

#10 ssgt.usaf

ssgt.usaf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2013 - 08:59 AM

Would an external hard drive be causing the problem?  I have a Seagate external for backup.

#11 anyrepli

anyrepli

• Members
  • 160 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2013 - 09:03 AM

That would be easy enough to prove. Just turn it off and see but I doubt it.

#12 ssgt.usaf

ssgt.usaf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2013 - 09:16 AM

Well, rebooting did not produce the infamous "force closure" of programs running in the background, but it still takes a while to boot.  Unplugging the external hard drive did not increase boot speed.  By the way, the pc has Easy Tune 6 on it.  I've removed it, but it seems to be part and parcel of having this motherboard.

Reboot takes three minutes.

I went to computer parts sites and found 8GB of RAM, max for my pc configuration, for about $70, so I will be ordering those next Teusday.

Edited by ssgt.usaf, 23 April 2013 - 09:18 AM.

#13 anyrepli

anyrepli

• Members
  • 160 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2013 - 09:21 AM

OK, some improvement reported (I think). Anyway, leave those setting as is for now and try this additionally. Run msconfig again, and this time, go to the services tab and tick "hide all Microsoft services" (bottom-left) and then "disable all" (bottom-right). Reboot 3 times and see what happens.

#14 ssgt.usaf

ssgt.usaf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2013 - 09:23 AM

Before, I could boil water and steep a cuppa before it completed booting.

#15 anyrepli

anyrepli

• Members
  • 160 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2013 - 09:23 AM

Well, rebooting did not produce the infamous "force closure" of programs running in the background, but it still takes a while to boot.  Unplugging the external hard drive did not increase boot speed.  By the way, the pc has Easy Tune 6 on it.  I've removed it, but it seems to be part and parcel of having this motherboard.

Reboot takes three minutes.

I went to computer parts sites and found 8GB of RAM, max for my pc configuration, for about $70, so I will be ordering those next Teusday.

Yes, and as previously advised by another member, that additional memory should serve you well. However, if you are strapped for cash, 4GBs should work too.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users