Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

system freezing

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 eyesilver

eyesilver

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:07 PM

Posted 19 April 2013 - 01:57 AM

i have problem on my laptop during start-up process & shutting down because most of the time its suddendly
unresponsive , totally freezing & the only way to get back to its normal state is when rebooting it by hard reset.
i have Acer aspire 5750 12.04 (Precise Pangolin) 64bit, 4 Gb ram, Intel HD graphics 3000. I had noticed after updating my system on
available updates the following day the said error will occur., please guide me what appropriate updates
should be done only in order to avoid the problem.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 K6567

K6567

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:07 PM

Posted 21 April 2013 - 06:27 PM

If I'm following correctly and the problem began after the update manager did updates then of course the problem is in one of the programs that was updated; but the conflict could be with hardware or software, not enough info given to say. Was the kernel also updated. Could be your computer has issues with the latest kernel or that the kernel isn't the latest.

I'm weighing in because I know from first hand experience that you could be exacerbating your problem when the computer freezes by "rebooting it by hard reset," that's not good and should only be done in the extreme. Here are some tips you can use when Ubuntu freezes:. a) ctrl - alt - backspace will restart the X server,  B) kill all processes by pressing  alt - sysRq - K , c) add to panel has a  force quit shortcut that can be placed there,   d) Go to System -  Administration - System Monitor and then in the Processes tab and select the application you believe to be causing the freeze. Obviously, choice D is also a good way to diagnose if a particular piece of software is at the root of your problem. After writing all this I found this webpage maybe it says what I said even clearer.   http://www.maketecheasier.com/4-ways-to-get-yourself-out-of-a-ubuntu-crash/2008/09/01

A quick fix to your problem (predicated on if I'm reading your problem correctly) is to boot from a kernel where your computer was running fine. Ubuntu has a number of how too's on this. ( I use GRUB CUSTOMIZER).  From the older kernel you can also run updates again and make note of what applications are to be updated along with the new kernel. You don't need to install all the updates at the same time, in small #'s so you can check for problems. You should check with Ubuntu to see if there are any known issues with your model computer, graphics card, etc.  I hope I was helpful.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users