Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need advise: Installing a fresh install of Windows 7 from Windows 8

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 hYlAnDeR~TFC

hYlAnDeR~TFC

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:08 PM

Posted 18 April 2013 - 09:12 PM

When my purchase order of a new Windows 7 OEM Home premium arrives, I would like to format my wife's computer, which has Windows 8 on it, and then install Windows 7. 

After I format the computer that has Win8 on it, is it as simple and just poppping in the Windows 7 disk and following the prompts to install?  Or are there any other steps that I need to take before I do this?

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

hYlAnDeR~TFC~
[OF/FA] Orion Faction-Retired
Game Squad Fleet Admiral~Retired

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,723 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:08 PM

Posted 19 April 2013 - 07:47 AM

From what I see...any version denoted as "Windows 7 OEM Home Premium" may be an illegal .iso file of Win 7.  Win 7 Home Premium System Builders is the legal, purchased version of Win 7.

Assuming that you have a legal version with legal key...you don't need to format before entering the Win 7 DVD...deleting current partitions, formatting, installing processes are all included in the Win 7 setup/install routine.

Louis

#3 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,214 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:08 PM

Posted 19 April 2013 - 08:41 AM

In addition to hamluis' advice, you'll need to back up any files on your wife's computer that you want to keep to an external storage device.

Downgrading from Windows 8 to 7 is more difficult than with previous OSes, and you may not be able to activate the Windows 7 install over the Internet; be prepared to call Microsoft to activate it. If you have the Windows 8 install media that came with your wife's PC, keep that handy as well, just in case.

#4 hYlAnDeR~TFC

hYlAnDeR~TFC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2013 - 02:04 PM

It is an legal OEM Win 7 disc with key. 

I already have everything backed up, I just need to proceed with the win7 install. 

Sflatetechguy:  

to avoid the potential problems you mentioned  from downgrading from windows 8 to windows 7 by simply installing win7 with win 8 still on the system, wouldn't it just be easier then to format the drive first, and then do the windows 7 install?  I dont have the time or patience to sit and wait on the phone for Microsoft tech support if this becomes problematic.  I have dealed with them before on other matters and their customer service most certainly is not on the top 20 list for "JD Powers" customer service ratings. 

Thanks for your help.

hYlAnDeR~TFC~

#5 WalkingAtNight

WalkingAtNight

• Members
  • 128 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:08 PM

Posted 19 April 2013 - 02:26 PM

There is no need to format the hard drive prior to inserting the DVD.. As per Hamluis, all this is available from the win7 installation DVD.

- Boot from DVD

- Go thru the first couple options by selecting language etc and clicking next, select install now

- Accept the license terms, click next and select custom for your install

- At this point, you can delete the hdd partitions by going to the advanced drive options. (you can delete, create, format, etc),

- click next and the install will start.

#6 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,214 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:08 PM

Posted 19 April 2013 - 02:56 PM

That is correct. You can reformat either from the install DVD, or using a third-party tool. All depends on what you're more comfortable and familiar with.

#7 hYlAnDeR~TFC

hYlAnDeR~TFC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2013 - 04:13 PM

ok, excellent!  I just want to ensure that I don't have any lingering traces of Win8 on the system when I install win 7.  So, I'll just do an install from the DVD drive and choose from the various options to install.

I don't have any partitions, just one 2 TB C: drive to work with.

Thank you all very much for your help! 

hYlAnDeR~TFC~

#8 WalkingAtNight

WalkingAtNight

• Members
  • 128 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:08 PM

Posted 19 April 2013 - 04:16 PM

You're very welcome  :oneeye:

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,723 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:08 PM

Posted 20 April 2013 - 04:25 PM

I suggest that you create a small partition (no more than 50GB) for Windows when installing it...then create stoarge partitions after the install is complete.

Windows on any partition larger than 50-60GB is just not very smart.  The smaller the Windows partition, the smoother Windows tools (chkdsk /r, defrag, etc.) will function when called upon.

A chkdsk /r on a 2TB drive takes me slightly over 2.5 hours, but it doesn't inconvenience me because my 2TB drive is used for nothing but storage, while my Win 7 partition is 60GB, with 41 unused right now.

It's always wise, IMO, to partition these super-large hard drives, whjether Windows is stored on one or not...because all system housekeeping can be done much more efficiently and risk of data loss due to partition/drive problems...is somewhat lessened via partitioning.  If you have a single huge partition and you develop file system or hard drive problems...you may lose everything (including backups)  because it's all on one partition. 

There is no advantage to installing Windows on gigantic partitions.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users