Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Minimum needed to test laptop motherboard

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 deeman7777

deeman7777

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:11 AM

Posted 18 April 2013 - 10:23 AM

I have a dead mobo and bought a refurb'd mobo and put everything back together.  The laptop will still not power up.  I have removed the refurb'ed mobo and I'm trying to test it without putting everything back together.  I only plugged in the bezel with the power switch, a stick of RAM, the CPU and fan with no signs of power. 

With the mobo removed, what are the minimum components needed to test?  I am just hoping for beeps or the CPU fan spinning.

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Jamebonds1

Jamebonds1

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:11 AM

Posted 18 April 2013 - 05:38 PM

I have been repair a lot of laptop internal hardware.  You can just using AC Adapler, if have monitor using them and it should be on wood with very dry.  Don't worry about hard drive, DVD drive and battery.  To start up laptop, you need CPU and RAM.  

#3 deeman7777

deeman7777
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2013 - 07:08 AM

I tired these items and with a refurbed mobo out of the box it does not boot. Can anyone else please confirm that only CPU, RAM are needed to get some sort of power-up activity from the motherboard?  Thanks!

#4 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2013 - 08:55 AM

Giving us the make and model may help as some laptops would be prone to problems that others are not.

Have you checked the power adapter to make sure you are getting the required voltage ?

CPU and RAM, Video should get you to BIOS. Some laptops also required that the battery be installed.

#5 Jamebonds1

Jamebonds1

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:11 AM

Posted 20 April 2013 - 07:38 PM

Do you insect power control?  If not, do this.  Like Caperdog say about power adapter, read specs and check it with meter or voltage tester.  It will show vary voltage depend on wire. 

Since you say it is not turned on, trying using battery with power adapter plug in.  But still, must check voltage first.  

#6 deeman7777

deeman7777
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2013 - 11:43 AM

Thanks for the help guys.  I found the issue. 

I had a guy attempt to reflow the GPU and he took the laptop apart.  The reflow did not work and he boxed up the parts and gave them back to me.  He forgot to give me the ribbon cable which attaches the power button circuit board to the mobo - duh!! So there was no connection between the power button and the mother board.  So, when I pressed the power button it could not transmit any power-on command to the mobo.

I will get it soon and suspect it will fix the issue.

Thanks again!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users