Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

recording

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 bobbies

bobbies

• Members
  • 162 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:33 PM

Posted 18 April 2013 - 05:40 AM

Is it O/K to use an ordinary mic, that i have to go straight into my laptop for recording singing, of course it would need an adapter as the mic has a 1/4 plug and the laptop is only 1/8. Or do you need a mic with an USB plug.thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,971 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:33 AM

Posted 18 April 2013 - 06:05 AM

If you're not looking for much quality in the recording, straight to the laptop mic input will function. But the mic preamp will not be good, meaning background hiss levels will not be low and you mightn't be able to get enough gain (depending on microphone output level). It's really only intended for speech purposes like webcam.

USB microphones also vary much in quality, but are likely to produce a cleaner sounding result, especially if you can obtain a decent quality one.

Overall the best recordings will come from using a decent dynamic or condenser mic through a proper interface, of which there are many. I use an older E-MU 0404, the first similar example that popped up on a Google search:

http://www.avid.com/US/products/Avid-Recording-Studio

Top 5 things that never get done:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users