Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

install win 7

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 esmo

esmo

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:39 PM

Posted 18 April 2013 - 03:18 AM

My computer is presently xp only.  I want to add win 7, and when I get comfortable using it, I want to remove xp.  I can either add win 7 on a different hard drive, or create a partition on my c:\drive where xp resides.  Which would be best.  Thanks  esmo

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TwinHeadedEagle

TwinHeadedEagle

• Security Colleague
  • 352 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:39 PM

Posted 18 April 2013 - 05:29 AM

You may install Windows 7 along with the XP on the same partition, what is called Dual Boot. But I think it is better for you to install windows 7 on different partition/hard drive...

Step by step guide to instal dual boot --> http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/8790/dual-boot-your-pre-installed-windows-7-computer-with-xp/

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:39 PM

Posted 18 April 2013 - 11:15 AM

Minor correction...each O/S will require its own partition...but they can be installed on the same hard drive.  If you review the install instructions for any version of Windows...you will see that part of the install lies in creating the system partition (where the Windows files will lie).

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 18 April 2013 - 11:17 AM.

#4 esmo

esmo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:39 PM

Posted 21 April 2013 - 02:45 AM

Thanks.  I was concerned that if I installed win 7 on a different hard drive, when I remove xp, my os would not be on drive C:\, and I don't know if that would be a good idea.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:39 PM

Posted 21 April 2013 - 03:18 PM

In any case, since you are installing Win 7 after XP...removal or deletion of XP afterwards should be no problem.  The boot options at startup will stail reflect two options, even though onw is gone...but that is easily corrected.

One note...the C: drive/partition...is not fixed.  whichever version of Windows is booted into...automatically becomes the C: partition/drive when looking at all other partitions/drives.  So your drive letters may appear to "change" but it's nothing to be concerned about.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users