Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot run any removal tools

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
15 replies to this topic

#1 kmb4691

kmb4691

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:41 PM

Posted 18 April 2013 - 01:50 AM

Hi,

Not really sure what to post here.  I am working on my friend's laptop - I cannot run any exe files, so I cannot run any of the removal tools.  I was instructed to complete step 6 in this topic:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/34773/preparation-guide-for-use-before-using-malware-removal-tools-and-requesting-help/

But I can't complete this step.  Desperate for help :(

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 kmb4691

kmb4691
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2013 - 01:09 PM

This is what has been tried so far:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/491935/win-7-cant-run-exe-files/#entry3029165

If anyone has any suggestions, I would really appreciate it. Thanks!

#3 dev00790

dev00790

Bleeping Chocoholic

• Members
  • 5,037 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:41 AM

Posted 22 April 2013 - 06:35 PM

Hello,

I will be helping you with your problems. Please be patient while I assist you.

Some points for you to keep in mind while I am helping you to make things go easier and faster for both of us

• Please do NOT run, install or uninstall any programs,  unless instructed to do so.
    • We ask you to run different tools in a specific order to ensure the malware is completely removed from your machine, and running any additional tools may detect false positives, interfere with our tools, or cause unforeseen damage or system instability.
  • Please do not attach logs or use code boxes, just copy and paste the text.
    • Due to the high volume of logs we receive it helps to receive everything in the same format, and code boxes make the logs very difficult to read. Also, attachments require us to download and open the reports when it is easier to just read the reports in your post.
  • Please read every post completely before doing anything.
    • Pay special attention to the NOTE: lines, these entries identify an individual issue or important step in the cleanup process.
  • Please provide feedback about your experience as we go.
    • A short statement describing how the computer is working helps us understand where to go next, for example: I am still getting redirected, the computer is running normally, etc. Please do not describe the computer as "the same", this requires the extra step of looking back at your previous post.

NOTE: At the top of your post, click on the Watch Topic Button, select Immediate Notification, and click on Proceed. This will send you an e-mail as soon as I reply to your topic, allowing us to resolve the issue faster.

NOTE: Backup any files that cannot be replaced. Removing malware can be unpredictable and this step can save a lot of heartaches if things don't go as planed. You can put them on a CD/DVD, external drive or a pen drive, anywhere except on the computer.
- Do NOT backup any unknown files ending in .exe, .com, .scr, .pif, and .bat since files of these types are more likely to be infected.

NOTE: It is good practice to copy and paste the instructions into notepad and print them in case it is necessary for you to go offline during the cleanup process. To open notepad, navigate to Start Menu > All Programs > Accessories > Notepad. Please remember to copy the entire post so you do not miss any instructions.

----------------

Please do the following next:

:step1:

Please download the TDSS Rootkit Removing Tool (TDSSKiller.exe) and save it to your Desktop. <-Important!!!

• Double-click on TDSSKiller.exe to run the tool for known TDSS variants.
    Vista/Windows 7 users right-click and select Run As Administrator.
  • If TDSSKiller does not run, try renaming it.
  • To do this, right-click on TDSSKiller.exe, select Rename and give it a random name with the .com file extension (i.e. 123abc.com). If you do not see the file extension, please refer to How to change the file extension.
  • Click the Start Scan button.
  • Do not use the computer during the scan
  • If the scan completes with nothing found, click Close to exit.
  • If malicious objects are found, they will show in the Scan results - Select action for found objects and offer three options.
  • Ensure Cure (default) is selected, then click Continue > Reboot now to finish the cleaning process.
    Note: If Cure is not an option, Skip instead, do not choose Delete unless instructed.
  • A log file named TDSSKiller_version_date_time_log.txt (i.e. TDSSKiller.2.4.0.0_27.07.2010_09.o7.26_log.txt) will be created and saved to the root directory (usually Local Disk C:).
  • Copy and paste the contents of that file in your next reply.

:step2:

Please download DDS by sUBs from one of the following links. Save it to your desktop.
DDS.com
DDS.pif

• Double click on the DDS icon, allow it to run.
  • Mark the option attach.txt.
  • Click on Start.
  • After the scan has finished, confirm the message with Ok.
  • DDS will automatically open both logfiles.
  • You can find them on your desktop as well.
  • Please post the content of those logfiles with your next answer.

Please note: You may have to disable any script protection running if the scan fails to run. After downloading the tool, disconnect from the internet and disable all antivirus protection. Run the scan, enable your A/V and reconnect to the internet.
Information on A/V control HERE

Edited by dev00790, 22 April 2013 - 06:35 PM.

Regards, dev00790

---------------------------------------

Marge: "Homer, the plant called. They said if you don't show up tomorrow don't bother showing up on Monday." Homer: "Woo-hoo! Four-day weekend!"I do not reply to Private Messages (PMs) asking for assistance - please use the forums instead. If I have been helping you, and I have not replied to your latest post in 48 hours please send me a PM. My Blog

#4 kmb4691

kmb4691
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2013 - 09:04 PM

Hi - thanks for your help, I appreciate it.

I cannot complete any of the steps you listed - I can't run any of the tools :(  The computer is not connected to the internet (I am downloading everything on another computer and then copying it to the laptop with a flash drive).  I don't think  any antivirus protection is running.

#5 dev00790

dev00790

Bleeping Chocoholic

• Members
  • 5,037 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2013 - 05:23 PM

Hi

Please do the following next:

:step1:

Please download Rkill by Grinler and save it to your desktop.

• Link 1
    Link 2
  • Double-click on the Rkill desktop icon to run the tool.
  • If using Vista / 7 / 8, right-click on it and Run As Administrator.
  • A black DOS box will briefly flash and then disappear. This is normal and indicates the tool ran successfully.
  • If not, delete the file, then download and use the one provided in Link 2.
  • If it does not work, repeat the process and attempt to use one of the remaining links until the tool runs.
  • If the tool does not run from any of the links provided, please let me know.

Do not reboot the computer, as you will need to run the application again.

:step2:

Run TDSSkiller again as per my previous reply.
Post the full contents of the log in your next post.

:step3:

Run DDS again as per my previous reply.
Post the full contents of dds.txt, and attach attach.txt in your next post.

Regards, dev00790

Marge: "Homer, the plant called. They said if you don't show up tomorrow don't bother showing up on Monday." Homer: "Woo-hoo! Four-day weekend!"I do not reply to Private Messages (PMs) asking for assistance - please use the forums instead. If I have been helping you, and I have not replied to your latest post in 48 hours please send me a PM. My Blog

#6 kmb4691

kmb4691
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2013 - 09:31 PM

Hi,

When I run Rkill, a black DOS box does briefly flash and then it disappears.  When I run TDSSkiller and DDS, nothing happens - there are no log files created.

#7 dev00790

dev00790

Bleeping Chocoholic

• Members
  • 5,037 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2013 - 03:48 AM

Hi

Sorry those links are outdated.

Please try one of the three on here instead.

Regards, dev00790

#8 kmb4691

kmb4691
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2013 - 10:24 AM

Hi,

I tried all three of these links - the same thing happens as before:  When I run rkill I get the black DOS box that flashes briefly then disappears.  However, nothing happens when I run TDSSkiller and DDS.

#9 kmb4691

kmb4691
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2013 - 11:28 AM

This laptop doesn't have a lot on it - my friend mainly uses it for going online, downloading her pictures, and playing card games.  Since I am having so much trouble getting any of the tools to run, do you think I should just start over and re-install Windows?  I have backed up all of her pictures, and she doesn't really have anything else on the laptop that she would miss.

#10 dev00790

dev00790

Bleeping Chocoholic

• Members
  • 5,037 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2013 - 12:13 AM

Hi

• Please download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool and save it to a flash drive.

Note: You need to run the version compatible with your system. If you are not sure which version applies to your system download both of them and try to run them. Only one of them will run on your system, that will be the right version.

Plug the flashdrive into the infected PC.
    :spacer:
  • Enter System Recovery Options.

To enter System Recovery Options from the Advanced Boot Options:Note: In case you can not enter System Recovery Options by using F8 method, you can use Windows installation disc, or make a repair disc. Any Windows installation disc or a repair disc made on another computer can be used.
    To make a repair disk on Windows 7 consult: http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/2083-system-repair-disc-create.html

To enter System Recovery Options by using Windows installation disc:
    • Restart the computer.
    • As soon as the BIOS is loaded begin tapping the F8 key until Advanced Boot Options appears.
    • Use the arrow keys to select the Repair your computer menu item.
    • Select US as the keyboard language settings, and then click Next.
    • Select the operating system you want to repair, and then click Next.
    • Select your user account an click Next.
    • Insert the installation disc.
    • Restart your computer.
    • If prompted, press any key to start Windows from the installation disc. If your computer is not configured to start from a CD or DVD, check your BIOS settings.
    • Click Repair your computer.
    • Select US as the keyboard language settings, and then click Next.
    • Select the operating system you want to repair, and then click Next.
    • Select your user account and click Next.
  • On the System Recovery Options menu you will get the following options:
    Startup Repair
    System Restore
    Windows Complete PC Restore
    Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool
    Command Prompt

Select Command Prompt
    :spacer:
  • Once in the Command Prompt:
    • In the command window type in notepad and press Enter.
    • The notepad opens. Under File menu select Open.
    • Select "Computer" and find your flash drive letter and close the notepad.
    • In the command window type e:\frst (for x64 bit version type e:\frst64) and press Enter
      Note: Replace letter e with the drive letter of your flash drive.
    • The tool will start to run.
    • When the tool opens click Yes to disclaimer.
    • Press Scan button.
    • It will make a log (FRST.txt) on the flash drive. Please copy and paste it to your reply.

Regards, dev00790

#11 kmb4691

kmb4691
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2013 - 12:34 PM

Hi dev00790,

I'm on hold for awhile - my friend took her laptop back and she wants her brother (who supposedly knows a lot about computers) to take a look at it.  I may end up getting it back if he can't fix it.  Thanks for all of your help so far, I really appreciate it :)

#12 dev00790

dev00790

Bleeping Chocoholic

• Members
  • 5,037 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2013 - 02:15 PM

Ok thanks for letting us know :-).

Regards, dev00790

#13 dev00790

dev00790

Bleeping Chocoholic

• Members
  • 5,037 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2013 - 04:51 PM

We'll keep this topic open for 5 days

Regards, dev00790

#14 etavares

etavares

Bleepin' Remover

• Malware Response Team
  • 15,514 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:41 AM

Posted 02 May 2013 - 07:34 PM

It appears that this issue is resolved, therefore I am closing the topic. If that is not the case and you need or wish to continue with this topic, please send me or any Moderator a Personal Message (PM) that you would like this topic re-opened.

If I don't respond within 2 days, please feel free to PM me.
Please don't ask for help via PM. The forums are there for a reason. Please post in the forums so others may benefit as well.

Posted Image
Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

#15 etavares

etavares

Bleepin' Remover

• Malware Response Team
  • 15,514 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:41 AM

Posted 02 May 2013 - 07:34 PM

It appears that this issue is resolved, therefore I am closing the topic. If that is not the case and you need or wish to continue with this topic, please send me or any Moderator a Personal Message (PM) that you would like this topic re-opened.

If I don't respond within 2 days, please feel free to PM me.
Please don't ask for help via PM. The forums are there for a reason. Please post in the forums so others may benefit as well.

Posted Image
Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users