Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Google Earth Gone Wild

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 sudsy

sudsy

• Members
  • 463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:56 PM

Posted 18 April 2013 - 12:46 AM

Since last update Tuesday I have had to remove Google Earth from two of my three Win7 machines. If I open the program it runs but starts some kind of download. I noticed the HD activity light was going wild. I had to shut down all programs and restart. Then the machines would be very slow. I ran Malwarebytes, Superantispyware, AVGfree with nothing to report.

I did a defrag using Auslogics Disk Defrag and the drive was seriously fragged. During the defrag I could see that most of the files being worked were Google Earth files. After defrag the machines came back to normal speed. I removed Google Earth and tried a new install on ths machine. It installed but did the exact same thing. I have repeated the proceedure and am up and running now.

So has anyone else seen this?

Sudsy

UFO pilot

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:56 AM

Posted 18 April 2013 - 02:34 AM

Hi -

Yes I noticed the same thing about 2 days ago and Auslogics Disk Defrag acted in the same manner.

I have not removed Google Earth, and the problem now seems to have gone away. There was nothing in MBAM or SAS scans for the next few times that I ran them, and I did run the scans about 3 times since the event.

My Antivirus (MSE) was disrupted for the next day but now it has settled down again. I lost the tray icon for a day, so I updated and ran it from Programs just to be sure there was nothing showing.

Google Earth was the main program, but I have not used it for ages. I just clicked it open to check that all was OK - Nothing had changed, and my local area was still showing as the first opening area (as set) -

Odd one, but no damage seems to have been caused .............

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,379 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:56 PM

Posted 18 April 2013 - 11:09 AM

FWIW:  I just installed Google Earth yesterday on this system...haven't noticed anything unusual.

Louis

#4 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2013 - 07:55 PM

Hi hamluis -

The problem only seemed related to about a week ago and no longer exists.

It may have just been a server glitch for the day or so -

Regards -

#5 sudsy

sudsy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 463 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2013 - 03:54 PM

Well I will re-post here and see if anyone here can help me. I still have this problem on 3 separate machines. I have removed and reinstalled Google Earth three times on this machine and the Hard Drive activity still goes wild. If I don't actually shut down the machine I can't stop it. I have tried letting it run for a couple minutes but when I restart the machine with Google Earth installed it goes wild again. If I stop it withing a few seconds the fragmented file count goes way down. If I remove Google Earth then restart the machine it is ok but RUNS VERY SLOW. Then I check my hard disk using Auslogic's defrag tool which usually take less than a minute to run. It takes about 5-7 minutes to defrag and finds over 6000 fragmented files. After the initial defrag if I run another it is back to normal and the machine runs fine.

I like Google Earth and use it quite often when I travel. I guess I'll have to find something else to use until this issue is fixed.

This all started after the last update Tuesday. Then I found an article here at Bleeping Computers that told me remove one of the updates (ended with ****234).

I just can't believe that I have the only three machines in the world that are having this problem.

Sudsy
UFO pilot

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,379 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2013 - 09:06 AM

Defragging...is only one possible answer to seemingly unwarranted hard drive actvity.

Run the chkdsk /r command...then defrag...each drive.

Start/Run...type chkdsk /r and hit Enter.  Type Y in new screen and hit Enter.  Reboot.  The chkdsk /r command will execute, upon conclusion, the system will boot into Windows.

Louis

#7 sudsy

sudsy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 463 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2013 - 09:35 AM

Defragging...is only one possible answer to seemingly unwarranted hard drive actvity.

Run the chkdsk /r command...then defrag...each drive.

Start/Run...type chkdsk /r and hit Enter.  Type Y in new screen and hit Enter.  Reboot.  The chkdsk /r command will execute, upon conclusion, the system will boot into Windows.

Louis

Louis;

I did that on all three machines when this all started. I may have figured this this out late last night. It may be a server problem with my ISP, I use the local cable company. I am currently away from home using my Netbook and was able to successfully reload Google Earth on this machine last night with no problems. I don't understand how exactly how that could happen but that appears to be the case. I'm at a friends house and she has Verizon 4G MyFi. I will return home on Thursday and come back here on Saturday and will bring my notebook with me and try to reload it.

Could the ISP be causing tis problem? They did go down for maintenance a couple of weeks ago to change the servers or something.

Steve

UFO pilot

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,379 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2013 - 10:26 AM

The symptoms you mention...do not add up to anything other than what I have suggested, IMO.

Three systems, same symtoms...I suppose that it could be malware, but malware doesn't inactivate when Google Earth is uninstalled.

Do these systems meet Google Earth system requirements?

Louis

#9 sudsy

sudsy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 463 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2013 - 03:27 PM

The symptoms you mention...do not add up to anything other than what I have suggested, IMO.

Three systems, same symtoms...I suppose that it could be malware, but malware doesn't inactivate when Google Earth is uninstalled.

Do these systems meet Google Earth system requirements?

Louis

All three machines have been running Google Earth for a few years. Two machines are Windows 7 32 bit machines and the third is Win 7 64 bit. They all have at least 4 G RAM, 250 G hard drives (two have 500 G Drives). So yes they have what is needed to run Google Earth.

I am going to contact my ISP and tell them what's going on.

Steve

UFO pilot

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,379 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2013 - 05:30 PM

Keep us posted, please.

Louis

#11 sudsy

sudsy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 463 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2013 - 06:28 PM

Keep us posted, please.

Louis

Will do. I actually called the ISP and they denied all. I am currently on the road and all is fine. When I get home I am going to try my other machines again and if they are still doing the same stuff I will take the Notebook to another connection from a different ISP and see if I can load Google Earth. Thats what I did here on the Netbook.

Steve

UFO pilot

#12 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2013 - 09:18 PM

FWIW - When I first responded to your post has been the only time that I have noticed G/Earth "playing up".

Since then there has been nothing of note with the program, so I have ignored any problems.

I did have a small infection at the time, which I removed, but I can not say if that was related at all -

Regards -

EDIT -

>> It takes about 5-7 minutes to defrag and finds over 6000 fragmented files << This is not normal with Auslogics Defrag, as I run it about twice every week, and even with a heavy load it only takes a few minutes to run -

I have Win7 Home Premium on a Toshiba laptop, and that was the computer that noted the "problem"

Do not use any of the other tools supplied with the Auslogics program, as they include a Registry cleaner and are not reliable -

Thanks -

Edited by noknojon, 23 April 2013 - 09:28 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users