Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to protect your computer against dangerous Java Applets

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:41 PM

Posted 17 April 2013 - 10:21 PM

Java exploits represent a common attack vector used by the bad guys to infiltrate vulnerable computers via the web browser. We wrote about the rise of Java exploits as early as 2010, and we haven't seen that trend decline. In fact, in the first quarter of 2013 alone, we've seen three Java remote code execution vulnerabilities being exploited in the wild: CVE-2013-0422, CVE-2013-0431, and CVE-2013-1493. In response, Oracle recently introduced a new security feature regarding the way unsigned Java applets and web start applications are run in the release of Java 7 update 11. The text in Oracle's release notes reads:

Synopsis: Default Security Level Setting Changed to High.

The default security level for Java applets and web start applications has been increased from "Medium" to "High". This affects the conditions under which unsigned (sandboxed) Java web applications can run. Previously, as long as you had the latest secure Java release installed applets and web start applications would continue to run as always. With the "High" setting the user is always warned before any unsigned application is run to prevent silent exploitation.

The rest is here.....

Microsoft Corporation

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 lti

lti

• Members
  • 583 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:41 PM

Posted 18 April 2013 - 12:07 PM

I uninstalled Java on my computer. I don't use it often enough to keep it installed and updated.

For some reason, I get a lot of strange looks ofr not having Java installed. My college's website shows a warning message telling me to install or enable Java, even though it doesn't use Java at all.

#3 Junior2007

Junior2007

• Members
  • 120 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2013 - 08:10 PM

Can Java be uninstalled via control panel, and is it advised to uninstall it? I have recently been getting more and more Java updates. Not sure if it's legit.

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Topic Starter

• Global Moderator
  • 73,329 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2013 - 08:35 PM

You can remove it like this..

1. Click Start
  2. Select Control Panel
  3. Select Programs
  4. Click Programs and Features
  5. Select the program you want to uninstall by clicking on it, and then click the Uninstall button.

A good article HERE

The only reason to leave it on would be for running Java applications, if you actually have any. In that case you would need to disable it in your browser(s) until needed.

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users