Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Abrupt and Random Wireless Connection Droppage

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 DariRyu

DariRyu

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:43 PM

Posted 17 April 2013 - 10:17 PM

I have recently run into a problem that is beginning to annoy me.  I had to replace my laptop because the backlight inverter went out on my old one. I did, with a similar model.  A refurbished computer, because I'm far too poor to afford a proper computer, and also because I hate Windows Vista.  I'm happy with Windows XP.

At first all went fine, I set up my wireless connection, and it worked.  However, as time went on, it became increasingly difficult to remain connected to the wireless network for long periods of time.  At this point it's gotten where, at its worst, it's difficult to remain connected for more than two hours.  I had thought it was simply the wifi modem in the computer deciding it didn't like the new IP address.  But an IP address shouldn't cycle more than twice a day, should it?

There are a variety of issues that arise when it misbehaves.  Sometimes it will kick me off and refuse to acquire the new IP address.  Other times it will kick me off and claim there are no networks at all that it can pick up.  I can temporarily repair this and get back online by going to Control Panel --> Networks and Connections, and disabling my wireless connection and then re-enabling it.  But though that solves the symptoms temporarily, the fact remains that it is continually kicking me off, and it is becoming worse.

There is another computer wirelessly connected to the modem -- and it's on the second channel that the router uses, so it isn't interfering with my signal -- and it has never had issues of this kind.  Additionally, there is a computer on a wired connection to the router and it remains connected as long as its operator wishes.  I have attempted to power cycle the modem, power cycle the router, change the router's channels, with no appreciable difference.  I can only assume, based on this, that it is not the router or the modem, but something going wrong with my computer.

Now.  As for the information asked for in the pinned topic:

Make/Model of Computer:  Dell D620

How The Computer Is Connected:  The computer is connected wirelessly.

Make/Model of Router:  Netgear N600 Wireless Dual Band Router

Approx. Distance from Computer:  Between 6-10 feet

Type of Internet: Cable

Result.txt should be attached to this post.  Thank you in advance for any assistance that may be able to be provided.

--~*Dari

Attached Files

Edited by DariRyu, 17 April 2013 - 10:20 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:43 PM

Posted 19 April 2013 - 01:50 AM

Have you tried updating the wireless card adapter by the Dell support site? The adapter might only support b/g wireless mode. Please check the router broadcast and try toggling mix(b/g/n) and or mix(b/g) only then see if there is improvements. See if your router also has and option to change or use bandwith to 20/40 Mhz or auto.

Tekken

#3 DariRyu

DariRyu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2013 - 02:07 AM

I have not tried this.  How would I go about doing that?  I have never used wireless Internet before.  The connection I use now is actually the first connection I have used that is not dialup.

--~* Dari

#4 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,111 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:43 AM

Posted 19 April 2013 - 07:50 PM

First there are several models of the N600 We need the specific model number it will be something like WNDR3700, WNDR3400 etc. This will let us know what exact options you have. Besides updating the Drivers for your card (its either an Intel card or Dell card) you can stop Windows from turning off the wireless adapter in the the Network connections. 

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#5 DariRyu

DariRyu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2013 - 10:58 PM

I apologize.  I was not aware that I had given you the wrong number.  As I stated, I have never used a router before this one.  The number you require seems to be WNDR3400.  Again, my apologies.

--~*Dari

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users