Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Floppy Won't Read

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 printman51

printman51

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:21 AM

Posted 07 April 2006 - 07:52 PM

Floppy drive malfunction. . . Instead of reading the disk when trying to open it, this floppy drive rewrites the last files I copied over the existing data on the disk I just inserted.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Snapper

Snapper

• Members
  • 550 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:21 AM

Posted 08 April 2006 - 03:56 PM

lol, weird. have you done an updated virus scan on your computer? just a thought. kinda sounds like a batch file running whan you access your fdd.
Google...Google.....browse..read

#3 TheYoda

TheYoda

• Members
  • 466 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2006 - 10:16 PM

How old is the floppy drive? And do you have the latest drivers for it? Try running a Windows Update to see.

"A coward dies a thousand times before his death. The valiant never taste of death but once." -William Shakespeare

Fold for your future...Help us find a cure.

#4 printman51

printman51
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:21 AM

Posted 09 April 2006 - 10:43 PM

Virus protection up to date . . . Microsoft Windows auto updates daily . . . I thought about just changing out the drive but that would be too easy a fix.

#5 TheYoda

TheYoda

• Members
  • 466 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2006 - 06:53 PM

Windows Update auto updates only critical updates, not drivers and optional updates. But if the floppy is old, it's more than likely just had enough and doesnt function. Also, check the cables and make sure they're in all the way. Take them out, dust them, and put them back in. Try getting a can o' air and blowing out the inside of the floppy disk. If that and new drivers fail, it's time for a new FDD. Your best bet, if you have the money, is an external. They're a little more reliable and they look cool, too. :thumbsup:

"A coward dies a thousand times before his death. The valiant never taste of death but once." -William Shakespeare

Fold for your future...Help us find a cure.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,372 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:21 AM

Posted 11 April 2006 - 12:26 AM

Virus protection up to date . . . Microsoft Windows auto updates daily . . . I thought about just changing out the drive but that would be too easy a fix.

I don't think your problem is the fdd, this would be a software issue.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users