Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Acer e Recovery Agent & PC Freeze

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 prmedia

prmedia

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:55 PM

Posted 17 April 2013 - 04:31 PM

Hi Folks,

Let me start by revealing im new here on the forum and greatly encourage by the great 'vibe' apparent in many posts and replies.

Prior to signing up to the forum side of things i had visited the website just a couple of times mostly to find useful info re specific software packs.

Well then ...to  the crux of the matter..

A couple of days a go my Acer Aspire began to freeze spontaneously, requiring a reboot on each ocassion.

The freeze frequency quickly escalated, and my work time on pc plummetted to anywhere from 5 minutes to 30 minutes after each re-start.

Initially I did suspect an infected file as  i had downloaded many files from different internet sources over the preceeding couple of days prior to this all starting. However, each download was scanned and cleared before being assigned a permanent resting place somewhere on my pc.

Anyways, a power outage did occur during rough weather the night before i began to have problems. This may be relevant but probably not.

Moving on.

After a few re boots i decided to do a system restore to an earlier point in time when i knew things to be running smoothly. This worked .... for about 30 minutes .......and then the freeze began again, and again, and again.

Eventually Windows started turning off the pc mid-work all by itself usually accompanied by a blue screen warning and subsequent choice of how to re-start. I re started in normal mode a  few times, a couple of additional times in safe mode. System Restore points soon vanished and offered only current day options, which were of little use.

On the advice of someone else a bit more tech savvy than myself  (im a novice)  i ran both Malwarebytes and Combofix thru the system (separately of course). This improved things a bit, before freeze time resumed couple hours later.

This all went on for the best part of 12 hours or so until this morning.

Then, during some moments when pc was working fine, i did a bit of research via microsoft website and  proceeded to do a re-boot in safe mode using Last Known Good Configuration (something like that).

Since then (this morning) the pc has performed much better, only freezing and re-booting about 6 times over a 10 hour stretch.

Then this evening while i was working online i noticed an alert tab at the bottom of my screen with a bit of Asian type language written next to it. e Recovery Agent.

So ....... long spiel huh...

My question is probably 2 or 3 fold....

What is this eRecoveryAgent thing - is it a virus attached in disguise ?

And, the system still freezes .... what can i do.....any suggestions re programmes i should run or virus tools i should use etc.

The pc is in daily use for 10-15 hours a day   (internet worker, home based)   and this cant really continue much longer. Im very worried about all the info and files and various programs stored for my online work. Not to mention the pc shutting down randomly, losing unsaved current work etc.

I took digital photos of couple of Shut Down screens for reference.

One of the screens read the following :     WebKit2WebProcess.exe has stopped working

By coincidence, i recall alot of this errant behaviour occuring after Adobe and Java updates. I deleted them both from program list and then reloaded more current files from source directly. I also, deleted the only software files i had loaded onto pc in the preceeding 48 hours before all this developed, plus i skimmed through Add or Remove programs and deleted anything i had no use for or just outright didnt trust anymore.

The latest Malwarebytes scan revealed 5 infected files and i removed them all from pc to external storage device. 

Ok, so thats about the size of my query and issue. I really hope there is someone out there who can help  or advise me on what to do or what ive done wrong, or which way to turn now. Prior to this the Acer never gave any problems, regardless of what i loaded or downloaded.

Thanks for taking the time to read this,

Regards, 

Erin

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,917 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:55 AM

Posted 19 April 2013 - 03:28 PM

Hello Erin ..We need to start anew topic with this explanation and your ComboFix log.

Please follow this Preparation Guide and post in a new topic.

Let me know if all went well.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 prmedia

prmedia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:55 PM

Posted 21 April 2013 - 08:58 AM

Hi,

thanks for your reply and instruction, i will come back to you when ive completed the above.

please excuse any delay, i cant connect to the net for more than a few minutes each time now before the pc freezes again.

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,917 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:55 AM

Posted 21 April 2013 - 08:25 PM

Does Safe Mode with Networking last any longer?

How to start Windows in Safe Mode

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users