Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Randomize MP3's On A Flash Drive

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 rokittman

rokittman

• Members
  • 235 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:05 AM

Posted 17 April 2013 - 03:02 PM

Hey all,

I have an unusual request. My car stereo is in the process of being replaced. In the meantime, my only alternative for music is a small speaker system that plugs into the cigarette lighter and can play MP3's through a USB port. I'm filling an 8GB flash drive with music files that equates to hundreds of songs from my hard drive. They are all named in different formats. Some by title first, some by artist, some by number. The speaker system has no way of shuffling these songs and by default plays them from first to last.

Is there a way ~ short of renaming them in the order I choose them to play ~ to randomize these files so they don't play in order? Maybe a piece of software that will do this?

- Dean -

Edited by rokittman, 17 April 2013 - 03:02 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 AdagioBoognish

AdagioBoognish

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:05 AM

Posted 07 May 2013 - 04:28 AM

I don't know of any way to add that feature other than renaming the files themselves. There are programs like Total Commander that help you create a batch file and assign all the song titles a random number. Each time you get tired of the playlist you can re-assign all the track numbers and randomize your playlist. Not as good a solution as what you're looking for, but it's the only thing I can think of.

#3 rokittman

rokittman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 235 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2013 - 05:23 PM

There are programs like Total Commander that help you create a batch file and assign all the song titles a random number. Each time you get tired of the playlist you can re-assign all the track numbers and randomize your playlist. 

That may be exactly what I'm looking for. I'm not looking for a way to preserve tags, There's no display that shows the song, track number, etc. So maybe this will work. Thanx!

#4 AdagioBoognish

AdagioBoognish

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2013 - 07:02 PM

Awesome, hope it works.

Your avatar pic is gruesome as hell. You or your friends do fx makeup?

#5 rokittman

rokittman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 235 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2013 - 07:43 PM

Awesome, hope it works.

Your avatar pic is gruesome as hell. You or your friends do fx makeup?

Haa! Thank you. I only do this for Halloween. I combined two techniques from YouTube videos.

Got all the supplies from a Halloween costume store and added a few of my own details. Took about two and a half hours to get it looking really good. The trick is to cover the bloody areas with vaseline for that freshly mutilated look. I also bought some creepy theatrical contact lenses. I can't find a way to attach pictures here or I'd show you a couple closeups.

#6 Felipe2237

Felipe2237

• Members
  • 353 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2013 - 09:59 AM

You got all that just from watching youtube? I'm impressed!

Unofficial iOS Genius

#7 rokittman

rokittman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 235 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2013 - 04:27 AM

You got all that just from watching youtube? I'm impressed!

Ha!! Thanx,

Ya, watching it over and over and over.... It's actually pretty easy to do, it just takes time. You have to be willing to improvise on the materials also, Some of the items I was never able to find around here. HERE is another video I may use next year that I thought was pretty ingenious. Toilet paper and glue. Don't get much simpler than that! 

#8 Felipe2237

Felipe2237

• Members
  • 353 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2013 - 08:59 PM

Glue + face = a bad time?

Do you plan on doing a haunted house? You could make it a community fundraising event or just keep the profit. Your talent could definitely be used. I don't have the guts to glue  anything to my face :P

Unofficial iOS Genius

#9 rokittman

rokittman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 235 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2013 - 04:15 AM

Actually, wood glue comes off your face pretty easy. Just make sure to shave good first. And if you use some hand cream on your face, it keeps the adhesive from sticking TOO good. Spirit gum is used more for this than anything. It's like rubber cement and peals off real easy.

I've never had the room to do a haunted house, but I'd love to volunteer for one. I live in an apartment now, but when I had a house I would decorate quite a bit. I usually have two fog machines going. One I built a chiller for to keep the fog low and eerie. Check HERE. And I always have creepy music playing, horror movie theme songs work best. And strobe lights of course. My favorite prop is Lenny. He's a stuffed dummy I made about 15 years ago and have been using every year since. He's been hung by the neck, thrown off the house, run over in traffic and shot with a rifle. And yet Halloween is still his favorite holiday. He has a FaceBook page HERE. Take a look at his bio. The chicks dig him!

- Dean -

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users