Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware false Positive 4-15-13

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Druco

Druco

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:27 AM

Posted 17 April 2013 - 02:20 PM

It seems like this would have been big news on 4/15 when it occured.  Apparently a database update from MWB caused critical windows files to be removed from the system.  I had 2 computers with the problem and it was a time killer since the computers would not even boot.  thankfully I had good restore points to work with.

http://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?showtopic=125138&st=0

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,399 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:27 AM

Posted 18 April 2013 - 11:14 AM

All scanning tools are susceptible to glitches, bugs and false positive detections that may remove critical files from time to time resulting in computers that become unbootable or get stuck in an endless reboot loop. Even major anti-virus vendors are not immune to such issues either. In most cases when these problems occur, the anti-virus vendors and security tool developers take quick action to correct the problem and provide support to those users who have been affected. In fact, most have dedicated subforums for reporting/dealing with such issues and instructions for submitting samples.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:27 PM

Posted 18 April 2013 - 07:45 PM

I find it is surprising that this incident lasted only 8 minutes, but so many people were hit.

It shows how many people use the program at any time now, and that so many forums use it also.

Many people with Pro Version installed set updates to install every 10 or 30 minutes, while the ideal time for updates or scans seems to be more like every 2 or 3 hours, since you are not always wanting to spend time updating in the background all the time.

On average, there are about 10 updates over any 24 hour period, so any other update is just a reload of installed versions.

Most Antivirus programs have an update set for only once every day, at best.

I have found these listed times ideal with Malwarebytes program for scans and updates. I only have it set for updates about every 4 hours and a quick scan after each update, and I have never had a problem with this idea -

Just MY personal version, and how I set MBAM for others when I install it for them -

Thank You -

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users