Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Rumors that Windows 8.1 (Blue) may bring back the Start Menu and boot to desktop

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,640 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:13 AM

Posted 17 April 2013 - 01:58 PM

When Microsoft unveiled Windows 8, the biggest complaints were the lack of the traditional Start Menu and Windows booting directly to the Windows Start screen instead of the desktop. Rumors are now circulating that Windows 8.1, codenamed Blue, will possibly offer options that can enable booting directly to the Windows 8 desktop and the ability to bring back the Windows Start Menu.

On April 14th, MicrosoftPortal.net blogged about how the twinui.dll file found in the leaked Windows Blue Build 9364 contains code that controls whether the computer will boot directly to the desktop. If this setting in the twinui.dll file is manually patched, Windows 8 will then boot directly to the desktop. As previous builds of Windows Blue did not contain this option, it is through that Microsoft may finally be listening to their user's biggest concerns and working to fix them.
:spacer:

windows-8-blue-twinui.png
Screenshot from http://microsoftportal.net/windows-blue/2037-windows-blue-pozvolit-otklyuchit-startovyy-ekran.html

:spacer:
Yesterday, Mary Jo Foley reported that one of her sources has indicated that Microsoft may also be planning on adding the ability to bring back the Start menu button as part of the Windows Blue update.

At this point there is no official word from Microsoft, so we will just have to wait to see what happens in August 2013 when Windows 8.1 is released to manufacturing.

There are some great new features in Windows 8 that make it more secure and easier to troubleshoot. Bringing back the Start Menu and directly booting to the desktop may make Windows 8 a real winner.

What are your thoughts?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Required Field

Required Field

• Members
  • 169 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:13 AM

Posted 17 April 2013 - 02:53 PM

People have been shouting about the missing start button and metro (sorry- the start page)  since the Developer's Preview.  I don't know why they waited so long, but at least they are listening.  Will this be a part of service pack 1, at some point, I wonder?

"Most quotes attributed to famous people on the internet are fake." -Abraham Lincoln

#3 v.batra

v.batra

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:43 PM

Posted 17 April 2013 - 05:19 PM

I work as a computer technician and my experience so far shows that people are really missing the start menu and the ability to boot to desktop that is why so many alternatives are there.. i would suggest that they should add more ability to traditional start menu if the rumor is true

#4 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:43 PM

Posted 18 April 2013 - 03:14 AM

This is good news. I don't actually hate modern UI but i just don't like it in my desktop. No doubt it is good and unavoidable in tablets. Bringing back start menu will combine advantages of both. There are 3rd part apps which exactly does the same. You can optionally skip metro at boot and open metro apps via traditional start menu. Like that MS can more than easily provide a start menu in next Windows.

#5 Required Field

Required Field

• Members
  • 169 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2013 - 08:59 AM

Actually, I got the chance to play with a Microsoft Surface Pro, and the truth is Windows 8 is pretty awesome on it.  On a desktop, however, it's less than awesome (in my opinion). 

"Most quotes attributed to famous people on the internet are fake." -Abraham Lincoln

#6 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Topic Starter

• Admin
  • 43,640 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2013 - 09:55 AM

Agreed. I have a surface pro and 8 is great on it. Its just not that great on a desktop

#7 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,738 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:13 AM

Posted 18 April 2013 - 05:31 PM

I don't have any proof but I personally bet that missing "Start" menu was one of the main culprits for sagging Windows 8 computers sale numbers.

My Website

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click DONATE

#8 Required Field

Required Field

• Members
  • 169 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2013 - 08:45 AM

I would tend to disagree.  The truth, I believe, is that for the most part, businesses, schools, and government agancies don't upgrade until they need to, and they usually just buy new PCs, not upgrade the OS on existing PCs.  Those that needed to switch from Pentium 4s running XP have recently already moved to Core processors running Windows 7, and it may be several years before they upgrade again, partly due to cost,  partly due to software compatibility, but also because what they have now works just fine.  Those that are upgrading now are buying Windows 7 downgrades because their professional software (Amicus for attorneies, Drake for CPAs. etc.) just isn't ready for the new Windows 8 64-bit world.  For most people, as in end users, I don't believe the operating system is the deciding factor.  When Joe Consumer needs a new computer, he goes to Best Buy or Wal-Mart and buys one.  If he knows anyting about the OS, it's that it has "the new Windows" on it.  This means nothing to them until they boot it up, and then they decide they hate it.  This is different from Vista because many people decided they hated Vista based on word-of-mouth, consensus driven factors caused by a rocky release plagued with incompatibilities, bugs, and Apple's very successful (and usually very accurate) slams against Vista in their advertisements.  But that's just my experience.

#9 jfruch1

jfruch1

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2013 - 10:29 AM

I would tend to disagree.  The truth, I believe, is that for the most part, businesses, schools, and government agancies don't upgrade until they need to, and they usually just buy new PCs, not upgrade the OS on existing PCs.  Those that needed to switch from Pentium 4s running XP have recently already moved to Core processors running Windows 7, and it may be several years before they upgrade again, partly due to cost,  partly due to software compatibility, but also because what they have now works just fine.  Those that are upgrading now are buying Windows 7 downgrades because their professional software (Amicus for attorneies, Drake for CPAs. etc.) just isn't ready for the new Windows 8 64-bit world.  For most people, as in end users, I don't believe the operating system is the deciding factor.  When Joe Consumer needs a new computer, he goes to Best Buy or Wal-Mart and buys one.  If he knows anyting about the OS, it's that it has "the new Windows" on it.  This means nothing to them until they boot it up, and then they decide they hate it.  This is different from Vista because many people decided they hated Vista based on word-of-mouth, consensus driven factors caused by a rocky release plagued with incompatibilities, bugs, and Apple's very successful (and usually very accurate) slams against Vista in their advertisements.  But that's just my experience.

As an instructor for a very large computer club (800+ membership), I see that most of the hatred for Windows 8 comes from people who just aren't comfortable with major changes.  Here Microsoft hit us with 2 very major changes - the Start Screen and taking away the Start menu.  As soon as we show them they can get the Start menu back (Classic Shell) and can bypass the Start screen by holding down the Enter button after typing in their logon password, they tend to "settle down" to the new operating system.

#10 danjmilos

danjmilos

• Members
  • 227 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2013 - 03:05 PM

For my full sized tech the desktop boot is best for me cause it is the most familiar and it is what i want.  When i use someones' iPad, smartphone or other touch screen it takes me forever.

Dan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users