Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Confused about which "flavour" to try or use!!

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 English Teacher

English Teacher

• Members
  • 198 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:48 AM

Posted 17 April 2013 - 12:56 PM

Hi,

I have a 10 year old desktop (specs below) which is currently running WIndows XP PRO SP3. As it is so old, I can't run any other OS on it and as MS is stopping ALL support for XP in just under a year now. I am now deciding to try out a Linux OS.

I have read quite a lot about the different "flavours" (haven't found a pizza flavoured one yet though :lmao:  ) Anyway, I'm confused even more now.

The computer would be mainly used by my 10 year old, for surfing the web, listening to music, some online games websites, maybe some photo editing, nothing major really.

Any ideas would be grateful.

Thanks in advance for the advice. :clapping:

Intel Pent 4, 3000MHz

RAM 1.5 GB (1 GB added within the last month) I know, over 9 years with only 512MB RAM :orange:

Motherboard: ASROCK P4V88 (NB not the P4V88+)

Hard Drive: 80GB , partioned into two drives C and D both partions being 40GB

BIOS: American Megatrends Inc

Version P1.60 : Release Date 10/28/2004 : Size 256KB

Video Adapter Properties: Radeon 9200 PRO

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.
Never argue with stupid people, they'll just bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.
If at first you do succeed, try not to look surprised.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,483 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:48 AM

Posted 17 April 2013 - 01:09 PM

Here is a helpful link: http://distrowatch.com/dwres.php?resource=major

That lists the most popular and major distros and or flavors.

The most commonly used distro is ubuntu as it has many tools that make using it a lot easier. Just take a look and read over the page I linked to, it lists all the information on each distro and lists the pros and cons of each. :)
sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#3 pane-free

pane-free

• Members
  • 117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:48 AM

Posted 20 April 2013 - 09:20 PM

Your hardware is okay, but almost marginal for the modern Linux distros with bloated Desktop Environments like KDE, Gnome, Mate, others, IMHO.  Give the following a look:

Qimo4Kids
http://www.qimo4kids.com/

Emmabuntüs
http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=emmabuntus

Others are Kiddix and ForesightKids, about which I do not know anything. :tophat:

Suggest upgrading/getting rid of the Redeon, however, to save headaches.  Your choice!

Edited by pane-free, 20 April 2013 - 09:25 PM.

There comes a time in the affairs of man when he must take the bull by the tail and face the situation.
W. C. Fields

#4 Naught McNoone

Naught McNoone

• Members
  • 307 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:48 AM

Posted 22 April 2013 - 10:15 AM

Intel Pent 4, 3000MHz

RAM 1.5 GB (1 GB added within the last month) I know, over 9 years with only 512MB RAM :orange:

Motherboard: ASROCK P4V88 (NB not the P4V88+)

Hard Drive: 80GB , partioned into two drives C and D both partions being 40GB

BIOS: American Megatrends Inc

Version P1.60 : Release Date 10/28/2004 : Size 256KB

Video Adapter Properties: Radeon 9200 PRO

English Teacher,

As pane-free said, your hardware should support a linux system.

I have xUbuntu loaded on an Intel Atom 1.6GHz, with 1GB RAM.  It functions well enough to surf and email.  More intensive things like VMPlayer, Wine, etc. cause it to bog down a little. (Some times a lot!) :blink:

I would suggest that you download some of the live CD iso images, such as xUbuntu, Knoppix, Wary Puppy, etc., and try running them from the CD without installing on you hard drive.  That will give you a feel for the system, and help you decide which way to go.

Cheers!

Naught

Edited by Naught McNoone, 22 April 2013 - 10:17 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users