Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Lost my wired internet connection, the WiFi is OK

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 DanishDude

DanishDude

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:46 PM

Posted 17 April 2013 - 11:40 AM

Hi everyone

I’m brand new her, and hope that one of you have some ideas on how to solve a problem I have with my net/internet connection.

The network is:

ADSL-connection.

Router with WiFi (Philips SNB5600).

Stationary computer connected via cable.

Two Netbooks connected via WiFi.

NAS connected via cable.

Up to four Android phones connected via WiFi.

Just before last weekend the internet disappeared from all connected devices, just like that, no changes was made in software, hardware or configuration from my side. So I tried to find out exactly what, why and how to solve it, but no luck so far.

What I found out is that:

If I disconnect the cable from the PC, all other devices run OK via WiFi, just as before.

Replacing the cable between PC and router don’t change anything at all.

Everything connected as before the internet is of cause down but:

I can transfer files from the NAS to the PC.

I can get access to the IP-address/setup in the router, but it does seem unstable, sometimes gif-files with logo are missing for example sometimes not.

I tried to back-up the settings from the router, and it does start the process and ask where I want the backup.bin file. After a while (48 KB last time) with a transfer speed on 2.52 KB it stops, and I don’t get anything at all.

I wonder if the router is defect, or maybe a reset of the router will do the trick. The reason to why I haven’t tried to reset the router is that I’m between jobs, so I really need the connection to send applications. If I reset the router with no or a slim chance to get access to the setup, and the WiFi goes to I’m in trouble and can’t send applications, so I hope for some good advice before doing or buying anything.

I seen others run the MiniToolBox, and so did I (earlier this week) with all options chosen, most of the result is gibberish to me. I tried to copy in the text from the report in this post but are not allowe to, so now I try to attach the file and see what happens.

Best regards

DanishDude

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Agent24

Agent24

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:46 AM

Posted 17 April 2013 - 09:22 PM

"If I disconnect the cable from the PC, all other devices run OK via WiFi, just as before."

Are you saying that you have to disconnect a specific PC for the wireless connection to work properly? Or does the wireless connection work fine regardless of the connected PC's?

If I'm reading the results correctly, several of your pings timed out. There's also an error with your winsock file, though that shouldn't cause issues with other computers connecting.

Since you are able to access your NAS device, your systems should be able to ping each other. Have you tried manually pinging other systems, the router and a web page/external IP?

#3 DanishDude

DanishDude
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2013 - 03:10 AM

I tried to turn off the wireless connection on one of the Netbooks and connect it in stead of the PC, same result, no internet by wire or WiFi.

Okay.

I tried to transfer a MP3-file from the NAS to the PC, no problem. I haven’t tried to ping anything because I don’t know how to, but I do have the IP-address on the router, and I’ll need that to ping it right?

Best regards

DanishDude

#4 DanishDude

DanishDude
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2013 - 01:04 PM

I tried to turn off the wireless connection on one of the Netbooks and connect it in stead of the PC, same result, no internet by wire or WiFi.

Okay.

I tried to transfer a MP3-file from the NAS to the PC, no problem. I haven’t tried to ping anything because I don’t know how to, but I do have the IP-address on the router, and I’ll need that to ping it right?

Best regards

DanishDude

Hi again

First of all, I might deserve a wedgie because I forgot to activate the LAN on the Netbook before trying with cable. With the wireless turned off and the internal LAN turned on, the Netbook works fine on the connection normal going to the PC, no problems with WiFi or wired connection. The situation with the PC on this connection is still the same, connect the PC to the same cable and the Internet is missing, wired and wireless.

I tried to compare the lights on the two connectors with the cable connected, seen form the connector and the two LED’s up when connected to the same cables they show:

Netbook:

Left, orange blinking.

Right, green.

PC:

Left, orange

Right, yellow blinking

I ran a test installed back by DELL way back at the factory, the test is called Broadcom Advanced Control Suite 2. This Control Suite gives me some information’s like not connected with out the cable, and connected at 100Mbps with the cable.

The test where I can ping something, pings the IP-address of the router, with out cable it fails.

The diagnostic test I get the exact same result, cable or no cable:

Control registers - OK

Mll or MII-registers - OK

EEPROM - OK

Internal memory - OK

Build-in CPU – not supported test on BCM440X

Interrupt - OK

Loopback – MAC - OK

Loopback – PHY - OK

Test-LED – OK

The LED-test that runs in a loop, shifts between:

Left, orange and green blinking

Right, yellow blinking and yellow blinking

The router and the rest of the system seems to work, the tests of the PC does not (to me) give a clear indication that the NIC is gone bad, except maybe the lights on the connector.

Any ideas?

Best regards

DanishDude

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users