Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Something Has Happened To One Of My System 32 Files And I Need Help

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 duderbot

duderbot

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:38 PM

Posted 07 April 2006 - 06:30 PM

so the other night i restarted my computer, put my password in and logged on... than was immediatly logged off and i havent been able to log on since. I i have a Dell Dimension 8200 and have Windows XP as my OS. I may have accidentally disabled this file with a program i downloaded a day before hand. I've already tried starting it in safe mode and it still loggs me out. Any suggestions would be much appreaciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2006 - 07:55 PM

Hello, What you are giving us i this case is nothing to work on. For the lack of information is not a good thing. We need as much info as possible to help you. FOr one thing what is the program you say you tried to install? Also information about your system specs, we assume you are running Windows Xp but is it Home or Pro and what type of processor and how much ram do you have? Is there any error message for your computer when booting? Do you have Service Pack 2 installed?

From what you said I would suggest reinstalling Windows XP but before you do that I would suggest backing up any files you might want to save - not the programs but just important data like if you are using Quicken you might want to save the data files from that program and also backup any email you have. You might possibly have to take the hard drive and add it as a second drive to another computer to do this.

Or the fix might be as easy as going to the Knowledge Base at Microsoft and get the file you are missing and copying it to the proper directory.

With out the proper information from you all we can do is guess.

#3 oRCaz

oRCaz

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:38 AM

Posted 07 April 2006 - 08:03 PM

was your account accidentally disabled?
:: Orcaz signing off ::

#4 duderbot

duderbot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2006 - 08:08 PM

sorry about the lack of info...
its a dell 8200 if that helps any
i use avast
microsoft xp office
Pentium 4 2.53 gb Processor
256 ram
pretty sure i service pack 2 installed
i'm not sure what the program was called but i know i monitered start up processes and gave the option to keep/disable processes (was trying to get rid of spyware but ended up screwing myself worse)
when booting up a blue screen pops up that says system32/AutoCHk.exe cant be found

(just found my os cd-roms i thought i had lost them,i almost kicked my own ass for that) still havent tried doing anything with them mostly because i dont really know how to make my os read disks unless i'm logged into windows. HAHA right now i'm using my mom's awsome decade old computer with 56k internet connection... surfing the net is taking an extremely long time

Edited by duderbot, 08 April 2006 - 12:39 PM.

#5 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2006 - 07:21 AM

I suggest reading this interesting thread at another website found HERE. Read the entire thing as there can be more than one cause to this error. Let us know if any of it makes sense or rings true for your situation.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#6 duderbot

duderbot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2006 - 01:19 PM

this is probably gonna seem like a stupid question but how do i get my computer to read my xp installation disks without being logged into windows?

#7 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2006 - 01:46 PM

Not entirely sure what you mean, but if you mean you want your computer to boot from the installation cd, then you must change the boot order in the BIOS so that your computer will first look to the CD drive before looking to the hard drive. How to do that in a Dell Dimension 8200 can be found HERE. And, BTW, that is not a stupid question. We all have to start somewhere.

Edited by Albert Frankenstein, 08 April 2006 - 01:47 PM.

ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

#8 duderbot

duderbot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2006 - 02:46 PM

this is probably gonna seem like a stupid question but how do i get my computer to read my xp installation disks without being logged into windows?

haha yes yes thank you. now i just gotta figure out how to re-install windows... i mainly only use my computer for gaming and starting out new doesnt really sound like a bad thing at this point. Anyone able to tell me how to do this?

#9 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2006 - 06:18 PM

1. Backup your data if you want to save it
2. Boot to the XP cd and follow the prompts for installing XP
3. Install drivers from your driver cd or download them from the internet (you may want to do this beforehand and burn them to a disk)
4. Update Windows fully Start > All Programs > Windows Update
5. Install your programs and internet protection, i.e. antivirus, antispyware, etc.
6. Reinstall your data IF YOU KNOW IT DOES NOT CONTAIN ANYTHING MALICIOUS!

More info can be found by following the prompts HERE.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

#10 duderbot

duderbot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2006 - 12:51 PM

well, i'm not having very much luck with my problem (my own fault). i've gotten plenty of good advice however i still cant boot from cd... i followed what the dell site said i put my window's xp install disc in and put cd-rom drive as the first but, it just takes longer to boot up and i still get the same problem that my autochk.exe is missing.

(oops accidentally double posted)

Edited by duderbot, 11 April 2006 - 12:52 PM.

#11 lentheman

lentheman

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2006 - 03:00 PM

Make sure that when it says "PRESS ANY KEY TO BOOT CD" that you press any key to boot the cd!

That message only hangs around for a few seconds, so you might have to watch for it. Also, see if the "F12 = Boot option" is shown anywhere on screen when you first power up. If this is the case, then simply press F12 when it appears.

Also also also, check and make sure that if your BIOS has a BOOT ORDER option, that the CDROM or ATAPI CDROM option comes before your Hard Drive.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users