Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trojan Horse

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Research101

Research101

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:48 PM

Posted 17 April 2013 - 07:42 AM

Can someone help explain what a Trojan Horse (Virus) is in depth? and any other interesting facts about Trojans that you may want to share.

Edited by Research101, 17 April 2013 - 07:43 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bloopie

bloopie

Bleepin' Sith Turner

• Malware Response Team
  • 7,927 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:18 PM

Posted 20 April 2013 - 04:21 PM

Hello Research 101, and welcome to Bleeping Computer!

Sorry for the delay in response to your topic. It was originally posted in the Malware Removal Logs forum, where only the Malware Response Team members, Malware Response Instructors, and Moderators are able to reply to topics there. That is the reason for the delay. So I have moved this topic to a more appropriate forum where anyone can reply. :)

By your screenname I would assume you've done some previous research on this topic? If not, I'd have to first point you to some informative links (and sub-links therein) to read up on the subject.  Bear in mind, it's important to understand the difference between a Trojan Horse and a Virus.

==========

As a part of the Malware Response Team, I can tell you that Trojans can do some nasty things to a computer running a Windows Operating System (i.e. wrecking services, screenlocking, patching system files...etc). But it really depends on the "type of malware" that is present on a machine to really see what it does or can do.

Trojan and Virus, are very general terms of infections. So once they can be classified to a particular type of malware infection, they can then be better described much more "in depth".

Does this help?

bloopie

#3 Research101

Research101
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:48 PM

Posted 21 April 2013 - 12:47 AM

Thank You, this helped.

#4 bloopie

bloopie

Bleepin' Sith Turner

• Malware Response Team
  • 7,927 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2013 - 07:16 PM

Thank You, this helped.

You're quite welcome. Let me know of any further questions you may have!

bloopie

#5 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,963 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2013 - 10:18 PM

A Trojan Horse in the field of malware is an infection that comes packaged within something else that is attractive in some way to the viewer.  It may be an e-mail, an attachment to an e-mail, or some other vehicle.

A bit of history here:

The first Trojan Horse was a gift from the Greeks to the Trojans.  It was large and wooden.  In order for the Trojans to get it into their town, they had to take the gates down.  What they didn't know until it was too late was that the Greeks had hidden soldiers inside the horse.  Those soldiers later came out and then proceeded to defeat the Trojans.

Understanding that history will give you a better understanding of what a Trojan Horse is.  In short, something malicious or destructive hidden inside something attractive.

Orange Blossom :cherry:

Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,490 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2013 - 08:15 AM

Also see: Glossary of Malware Related Terms
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif