Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows security

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Dave Clark

Dave Clark

• Members
  • 215 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:04 PM

Posted 17 April 2013 - 04:18 AM

Hi,

A word of warning???? Yesterday I got a phone call from someone who had my name and obviously my telephone number supposedly from Window security. He said I had problems with my computer and it was a new virus which had infected a large number of computers. I laughed at him before hanging up. Then again I got a phone call and this time I listened, he said "they" could see my computer was infected and that he had my windows serial number which he then proceeded to prove to me!He then took me into the event viewer on my computer and there are a lot (over 100) errors and warnings all dated from 2nd April to date 17th April.
He then said he would help me to clean up my computer by taking me into safe mode. At this point I hung up on him again.

My questions are, How has he managed to install software on my computer to give him my personal details, Can he at this stage gleen even more information, ie bank details etc, How has he managed to invade the system to cause all of these warnings. I have run my A/V programs regularly and no warnings have appeared and am running them again together with an on line ESET scan.

Help and advice please.

Dave

Edited by hamluis, 17 April 2013 - 08:46 AM.
Moved from XP to Am I Infected - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:04 PM

Posted 17 April 2013 - 06:15 AM

he said "they" could see my computer was infected and that he had my windows serial number which he then proceeded to prove to me!

i have reloaded many computer for customers and friends who let these people into there computers,and installed the fake virus form a site told to them by the caller . ,but this is the first time i have heard that tell people they have there windows key ,

not sure how but they must have got into you computer before the call , if i were you i would back up all important data and reinstall window's

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#3 Dave Clark

Dave Clark
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 215 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:04 PM

Posted 17 April 2013 - 12:09 PM

Is there no way of detecting and removing the rogue software???

#4 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:04 PM

Posted 17 April 2013 - 04:51 PM

you could try ,malwarebytes or superantivirus

My answers are my opinion only,usually

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users