Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Acer keyboard not working

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 beer34

beer34

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:33 AM

Posted 17 April 2013 - 02:51 AM

Working on a friend's Acer aspire 7540-1284 running Win7 Home Premium.  At first I was able to log in via the Windows startup screen entering password, was able to F2, F8, ran Malwarebytes in safe mode, deleted the crap, rebooted and the keyboard doesn't want to work.

He told me the computer was dropped once.  There may also have been a liquid spilled on it, most likely beer or soda.

Here's what it does and doesn't do:

- Touchpad and its buttons work as they should

- I cannot get into the BIOS or safe mode via F2 & F8.  The computer will beep at me as it gets to the Windows splash screen

- None of the keys seem to work to enter the password.  However:

- If I hit the "s" key, the shutoff options menu on the lower right of the screen pops up.  Esc makes it go away.

He can't remember if he had this problem in the past.  The computer sat for over a year.  I let it sit and take in what seems like 50+ windows updates and they seem to have gone through okay.  He's also (self-admitted) green as goose poo when it comes to computers.

I don't have access to a USB keyboard.

Is there anything else I can try before I go inside and look for loose connections, etc?  Is there anything specific I should look for?

Thanks much.

Edited by beer34, 17 April 2013 - 02:52 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users