Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 hangs at Welcome screen

• Please log in to reply
83 replies to this topic

#1 Nigel the Great

Nigel the Great

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:17 PM

Posted 16 April 2013 - 08:33 PM

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me.

My FRED (F.....g Ridiculous Electronic Device) has decided not to boot past the welcome screen. After much reading on this site of other peoples issues I have found that I am missing the afd.sys file at a minimum, and maybe more but as computers are not my forte I will follow the directions given to me by those who actually know what they are doing.

Basic computer information :

AMD FX-8150 "Zambezi"

Windows 7 SP 1

I can provide more information as required.

Edited by hamluis, 01 May 2013 - 11:31 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to Am I Infected - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 WalkingAtNight

WalkingAtNight

• Members
  • 128 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:17 PM

Posted 16 April 2013 - 09:35 PM

Hi Nigel,

First off, have you tried booting into safe mode?  Turn on computer, continuously press F8, it will take you to a black screen with selections, choose safe mode, if it allows you to boot go ahead and login and try running check disk.  Open "my computer", right click on your c: drive, go to properties, change to the tools tab, select check now and check mark both selections boxes. it will ask you if you want to schedule the check disk. confirm the schedule and reboot computer.. let it run.

#3 Nigel the Great

Nigel the Great
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2013 - 09:43 PM

FRED boots into safe mode. Running check disk now. 

Will let you know what it finds, if anything.

#4 WalkingAtNight

WalkingAtNight

• Members
  • 128 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2013 - 09:55 PM

Glad it booted into safe mode :). The chkdsk will most likely take a while for all 5 stages to finish.

#5 Nigel the Great

Nigel the Great
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2013 - 06:37 PM

Disk check has completed, FRED is sitting at the login screen now.

#6 WalkingAtNight

WalkingAtNight

• Members
  • 128 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2013 - 07:07 PM

Can you check if it boots into safe mode with networking? F8 again, and safe mode with networking.

#7 Nigel the Great

Nigel the Great
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2013 - 07:50 PM

Sure does.

However FRED does not have access to the internet. 

I recently moved and only have wireless in my new house, so i am posting from my laptop. I cannot make FRED connect to the internet as it will not recognize the usb wireless adapter.....

#8 WalkingAtNight

WalkingAtNight

• Members
  • 128 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2013 - 08:41 PM

It's possible that the boot issues in normal mode are due to corrupted files in Windows. We can try running sfc /scannow in safe mode.  Boot into safe mode, click start, on the search bar type cmd, once the cmd icon appears on top, right click it and run as administrator.  when the command prompt opens, type sfc /scannow and let it run.. can take some time.

but before we complete the above, i wonder if anything at startup is causing the problem. go into safe mode, start, on the search bar type msconfig and open it. at the startup tab, disable all. say okay and reboot in normal mode. hopefully it logs in past the welcome screen. if not, go ahead and proceed with the earlier for sfc /scannow.

#9 Agent24

Agent24

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:17 AM

Posted 17 April 2013 - 09:38 PM

My guess is a bad driver or software. Have you done any recent changes, updates to your system?

#10 Nigel the Great

Nigel the Great
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2013 - 10:46 PM

It's possible that the boot issues in normal mode are due to corrupted files in Windows. We can try running sfc /scannow in safe mode.  Boot into safe mode, click start, on the search bar type cmd, once the cmd icon appears on top, right click it and run as administrator.  when the command prompt opens, type sfc /scannow and let it run.. can take some time.

but before we complete the above, i wonder if anything at startup is causing the problem. go into safe mode, start, on the search bar type msconfig and open it. at the startup tab, disable all. say okay and reboot in normal mode. hopefully it logs in past the welcome screen. if not, go ahead and proceed with the earlier for sfc /scannow.

Disabling all got FRED past the welcome screen, meaning that something in the startup is NFG.

My guess is a bad driver or software. Have you done any recent changes, updates to your system?

Only change has been 2 power supplies. Original one was cheap junk, first replacement was an Antec unit. My wife recycled the packaging so I was unable to return it for repair. Second replacement is a modular Corsair HX750 that I got for a decent price.

#11 WalkingAtNight

WalkingAtNight

• Members
  • 128 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2013 - 11:05 PM

msconfig,

try check-marking them back one by one and rebooting after each.

find your culprit. :)

Edited by JaureguiRoberto, 17 April 2013 - 11:20 PM.

#12 Nigel the Great

Nigel the Great
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2013 - 08:04 AM

Turns out that Google Chrome is the offender.

#13 WalkingAtNight

WalkingAtNight

• Members
  • 128 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2013 - 09:53 AM

FRED was probably attacked by an intruder because Chrome shouldn't be a threat.

1. Try downloading MalwareBytes - install it an run the flash scan.  When done, if infected, select to view the threats, make sure all are check-marked and remove all.  When the log appears, select all and copy paste the log onto your reply before saying yes to rebooting computer. NO THREATS? No need to reboot. But continue to step 2 anyways and then step 3 respectively.

2. Go ahead and perform a quick scan, following the same instructions as the flash scan.

3. Go ahead and perform a full scan. Same instructions.

Lets see what we find :)

----

I just remembered that you don't have internet access..  Can you download the latest driver for the wireless adapter onto your laptop and then via USB give it to FRED and install the driver?

Edited by JaureguiRoberto, 18 April 2013 - 10:08 AM.

#14 Nigel the Great

Nigel the Great
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2013 - 09:07 PM

FRED was probably attacked by an intruder because Chrome shouldn't be a threat.

1. Try downloading MalwareBytes - install it an run the flash scan.  When done, if infected, select to view the threats, make sure all are check-marked and remove all.  When the log appears, select all and copy paste the log onto your reply before saying yes to rebooting computer. NO THREATS? No need to reboot. But continue to step 2 anyways and then step 3 respectively.

2. Go ahead and perform a quick scan, following the same instructions as the flash scan.

3. Go ahead and perform a full scan. Same instructions.

Lets see what we find :)

----

I just remembered that you don't have internet access..  Can you download the latest driver for the wireless adapter onto your laptop and then via USB give it to FRED and install the driver?

Done both scans.

Nothing to report, MBAM found nothing.

#15 WalkingAtNight

WalkingAtNight

• Members
  • 128 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2013 - 09:17 PM

Download

ESET online scanner

when you click start it should download the latest definitions and start scanning.

clean or not, i would uninstall chrome, reboot and install chrome again. Something must have been corrupted if no viruses are found.

Good luck  :oneeye:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users