Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Would Linux be good for me?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 nick2222

nick2222

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:53 AM

Posted 16 April 2013 - 05:29 PM

I have a Dell Dimension 4700 desktop right now. Somehow I deleted my windows xp home off the computer. I really dont wanna have to buy a new OS and was wondering if Linux would be good for me. All I use my computer for is to surf the internet and play a few games on. Im dumb when it comes to this kind of stuff and all I know is linux is free.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 pane-free

pane-free

• Members
  • 117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:53 PM

Posted 16 April 2013 - 06:08 PM

Why not -- your machine can handle the likes of Vector Linux 7.0 - specifically VL7.0-Light.iso - with aplomb! 

Only question I have is -- How much PC2-3200 RAM is in your desktop, now?  512MB is minimal and your motherboard is good for 4GB.  Max out the RAM and run just about anything you may want as far as Linux distros go!  Only trouble may be the kernel, depending on your CPU's capabilities. 

Do not try to run Virtual or 3-D and you should be okay, IMHO.

VL7.0 is stable, simple, and has what you seem to want without having to install many extras.

Someone will likely say, "ubuntu," but I don't think it's the best choice in your case.

There comes a time in the affairs of man when he must take the bull by the tail and face the situation.
W. C. Fields

#3 nick2222

nick2222
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2013 - 05:21 PM

Thanks for your reply. Im so new to this kind of stuff but would all I have to do is downloand that OS to a disc on my good computer and stick the disc into my other computer that has no OS and follow the instructions?

#4 1002 Richard S

1002 Richard S

• Members
  • 277 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:53 AM

Posted 20 April 2013 - 01:36 AM

You need to download the operating system as an .iso file and burn (not copy) that to CD/DVD. Set target machine to boot from CD/DVD - may need to change BIOS settings.

Back up all important docs, pics, vids etc etc to external media before you start as the install will wipe you hard drive.

A good idea to Google for install instructions and print a copy to follow  ... just in case!

#5 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,097 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2013 - 11:23 AM

Be sure to burn the disk correctly. That is one if not the most common error...incorrect burning. Slow and burn..not copy.

All of the major Linux distros allow you to run them as LIVE. They will run using only the computer's memory and not

write anything to the HDD. Running live first will help you determine if you and your computer are compatible with the distro

you choose.

You can also use Linux to recover any files you may still have on your computer. Even though you can't boot into XP.

Here is a link to a video describing the process: ‪072 07 - Using The Ubuntu Live CD to Recover Files From an Un-Bootable Computer‬‏ - YouTube

Surely you must have some idea as to why XP is no longer bootable. If not, you may have hardware issues that need to 

be addressed.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#6 cosmic_sniper05

cosmic_sniper05

• Members
  • 196 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:53 PM

Posted 20 April 2013 - 04:51 PM

You might also want to take a look at Linux Mint. It's what I mostly recommend to those who are shifting to Linux from Windows.

Let's have a mental fusion!
Let us do our part to make this world a truly symbiotic place.

For other computer problems, this blog might be helpful:
http://cosmicsniper.blogspot.com

#7 pane-free

pane-free

• Members
  • 117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:53 PM

Posted 20 April 2013 - 09:01 PM

Thanks for your reply. Im so new to this kind of stuff but would all I have to do is downloand that OS to a disc on my good computer and stick the disc into my other computer that has no OS and follow the instructions?

Optionally, one may purchase a CD or DVD containing a burnt ISO of the OS chosen from a reputable vendor.  I do not know your residence, but if in North America, I personally have nothing  but good things to say abou OSDisc, out of Denver area. See his advertisement on a side panel at distrowatch, with which a familiarity would not hurt, in your situation.

Edited by pane-free, 20 April 2013 - 09:05 PM.

There comes a time in the affairs of man when he must take the bull by the tail and face the situation.
W. C. Fields

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users