Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Compressed (zipped) Folder Files

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 thkeeler

thkeeler

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:47 PM

Posted 07 April 2006 - 04:51 PM

I feel ashamed to ask this because I feel like I should know the answer--but--. :thumbsup:
I am trying to back up all the files in the My Documents folder but the total file size is 780 MB. I selected all of them, right clicked, pointed to Send To, then clicked Compressed (zipped) Folder. After about an hour, this computer is running painfully slow due to the Trojan.Vundo, they were all compressed; but I don't know where the compressed folder is. Can someone tell me where these files go when you Send To > Compressed (zipped) Folder? It never asked me to specify a location for the zipped folder as I thought it would.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 medab1

medab1

• Members
  • 844 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:47 PM

Posted 07 April 2006 - 05:05 PM

I just tested one & it was stored in My Documents.
Have you looked there to see if a new zip file exists?
When created mine went to the bottom of the list & moved up to its alphabetical listing after closing My Documents & reopening it.

Learn to take screenshots & add them to your posts. :thumbup2:

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/43088/how-to-capture-and-edit-a-screen-shot/#entry4532851

Learn to use Google Search.  :busy:

Make full system images to restore to if your computer goes bonkers.

#3 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2006 - 08:10 PM

What file name did you give the zip file? Just do a search for it and then go to the file from their. But first if your system is infected with a trogan or virus I would fix this before archiving any files. You might archive the infected file and get re-infected when opening up the archive.

#4 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:47 PM

Posted 08 April 2006 - 08:22 AM

You might want to use an application like WinRar to compress your files, since these have useful wizards that will give you more control and understanding of what is happening. Several free ones are mentioned in this BC pinned topic:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic3616.html

You could find the compressed file by doing a search by file type (.zip).
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#5 thkeeler

thkeeler
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2006 - 08:45 AM

Thanks for your help and comments medab1 & ThorXP.
I assumed (& still assume) it would be in My Documents somewhere but have not, as yet, found it. There is a zipped folder that's called New Zip File, but the creation date was in 2005. I do not see a file called New Zip File2, or a zip file with a creation or modified date of 4/7/06.
As far as what I named it; I didn't, it never asked me to specify a name or storage location. When I clicked Send To > Compressed (zipped) Folder it immediately started the compression process and in the Compressing.... dialog box the only options were a cancel button. I just tried it on a folder on my personal laptop, the one I am writing this on, and it simply created a folder with the same name & a .zip extension. As you said, it showed up at the bottom until I reopened Windows Explorer, at which time it showed up in alphabetical order.
I am wondering whether it did something different with it since it was the My Documents folder that I compressed; could it (or would it) save it to it self? Or maybe it never finished compressing.
Anyway, I just backed it up on three disks in a raw format instead of one in a zipped format.
The infected files all seem to have been in the Program Files/WINDOWS/System32 folder, but I will tell the owner not to open any of the data on any of the disks without making certain his anti-virus is on, live protection is enabled, and it is up to date, and then to run a virus scan on any folder he plans to open from those disks before he opens it.
Anyway, I don't think he will need the backup disks as I seem to have finally been able to remove the Trojan.Vundo without losing any of the data.
Thanks so much for all your help and comments!!!

#6 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2006 - 09:53 AM

I have always experienced the zip file ending up in the same place the source file is in. In other words if you compress some file that lives on your desktop then the compressed file ends up on your desktop. If you compress a file that lives in My Documents, then the compressed file ends up in My Documents also.

In your case you compressed the My Documents folder, therefore I would search in the same place the My Documents folder usually resides.

Start > My Computer > C: > Documents and Settings > "User Name"

ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#7 thkeeler

thkeeler
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2006 - 10:04 AM

Thanks for the WinRar suggestion jqweed.
I don't know much about Rar compression. It may be superior to Zip compression, I just don't know much about it. I have always used Zip compression simply because it is included in Windows. After trying hundreds, if not thousands, of ad-in and stand alone utility programs I have settled in to using what comes with Windows and MS Office for the most part. The ad-ins and stand alone utility programs often go far beyond what built in utilities do, but to utilize them to there full extent there is usually a learning curve, & if I don't utilize them to there full extent I may as well use the basic utilities that come packaged with Windows. Also my poor computer is so full of programs now that sometimes I think it has old-timers disease.
I would like to make a side comment to the above statement though; I don't understand why everyone wants MS Office. I have to use the MS Office programs for my school work and at the office, but if I didn't have to have MS Office I would use OpenOffice. Aside from being free (though anyone who really makes use of it should make a donation, same principle as PBS) OpenOffice does more than MS Office (take the ability to make PDF documents right in OpenOffice, a saving of more than $500.00 if you have to pay full retail for MS Office [$415 for Microsoft® Office 2003 Professional Edition - Full Version] and Adobe Acrobat [$450 for Adobe Acrobat® 7.0 Professional - Full Version] plus you don't have to wait for Acrobat to open), and it opens, works in, and saves to many more file formats than MS Office (including MS Office native formats).
For that matter, Windows built in WordPad is plenty adequate for most word processing jobs, though I know of no one who makes use of it routinely. For me the one main shortcoming of Windows built-in programs is Paint. It is a handy but an extremely minimal paint (bitmap) program. Also, if I were Microsoft (I'm really dreaming now) I would try to include a basic drawing (vector graphics) program. Actually, if I were Microsoft I'd include a basic drawing program that included minimal 3D capability.
Anyway, Thanks again for the help and suggestion, and sorry for going off on the tangent John.

#8 medab1

medab1

• Members
  • 844 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2006 - 11:09 AM

I noticed the comment about Paint.
There is a free program called Paint.net .
I downloaded it with the .net framework.
49.1 MBs on my dialup.
I went to bed & waited.

It seems like a good program.
Like Windows Paint but better.

I use EasyZip for zip files.
It is free too.
Low learning curve.

Learn to take screenshots & add them to your posts. :thumbup2:

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/43088/how-to-capture-and-edit-a-screen-shot/#entry4532851

Learn to use Google Search.  :busy:

Make full system images to restore to if your computer goes bonkers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users