Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No Desktop - Windows cannot find idlist,:0:2164,c:/documents

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Trottie

Trottie

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:42 PM

Posted 16 April 2013 - 03:09 PM

Mod Edit:  Removed HJT log, inappropriate for this forum, does nto appear to be malware issue - Hamluis.

For the last couple of days I have had no desktop items or start menu on start up to get Windows to work I have to ctrl - alt - delete and run windows manually from task manager.  EventuallyI get my desktop but also get the following message 'windows cannot find idlist.::2164,c:\documents. The only other way I can get my desktop is if i log in to another profile, then switch user to mine, if I do this no error message ! I have looked everywhere Norton doesn't find anything neither does Malewarebytes.

Can anyone help ?

Edited by hamluis, 16 April 2013 - 08:08 PM.
Moved from XP to Am I Infected - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,744 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:42 AM

Posted 16 April 2013 - 03:40 PM

Response which seems to have credibility, https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups#!topic/microsoft.public.windowsxp.general/R4myKCIHDmg .

Louis

#3 Trottie

Trottie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2013 - 03:50 PM

I have looked at this, however I am using a PC with no wireless adapter on it.  Have checked all intel drivers and they are uptodate.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,744 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2013 - 06:51 PM

"Updated" is insignificant when it comes to drivers...they (and all other files) are subjectr to damage/corruption and that is, IMO, the number one reason why they malperform and create problems.

There is nothing within Windows which will tell a user that a given driver is damaged...there is no signal at all unless the damaged file causes problems elsewhere.  Classic case is when the driver causes a BSOD and the error message points to the driver...but the classic case does not happen every time and Windows will then point to the scene of the crime...not the cause of the crime....because that's the best info that can be generated by Windows.  If any info is generated.

I would uninstall the Intel drivers and then reinstall same...or updated...versions.

Nothing is lost or chanced when drivers are uninstalled/reinstalled...and it's a common cure for various situations encountered in any version of Windows.

Louis

#5 Trottie

Trottie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2013 - 07:06 PM

The PC now keeps coming up with drive not found - i click on ok and it says another drive that doesn't exist is not found,  Alos in both Firefox and ie it says that flash is vulnerable, so i update it and it still won't work

#6 Trottie

Trottie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2013 - 07:08 PM

This did start after I was installing some software and Norton flagged it as unsafe.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,744 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2013 - 08:07 PM

Drive not found errors...can indcate a problem with the file system, loose connections, a failing hard drive...among other things.

I suggest that you disconnect the hard drive...and then reconnect...to eliminate loose connections.

In the meantime...I'll move this to Am I Infected, since that now seems a possibility, IMO.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users