Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help! Computer is dead but I need files off the Hard Drive

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 dweano

dweano

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:05 AM

Posted 16 April 2013 - 01:40 PM

Hey guys. I have a problem with my bleeping computer. It was always a piece of crap but a yearish ago it finally died. I can power it up, it powers up for bit, then dies, restarts, etc. Nothing ever making it to the screen. I have no love lost for that thing but I just realized I have files on that computer that I NEED.

The old (dead) computer that has the oh so crucial files on its hard drive is a (don't laugh) Acer Ferrari One 200 Series.

From what I understand by best chance is to physically remove the hard drive and put it in an enclosure and hope the hard drive itself isn't dead (which...I somewhat suspect it is)

My problem is I don't know and can't find the specs of the hard drive. The Acer site says it could be multiple things. Should I take the computer apart and take pics for you guys? I just somehow need to access that hard drive. Even to copy them to my current computer real quick

If the Hard disk is dead itself am I pretty much screwed?

Thanks for any tips! I know I sound disjointed and rattled I just need to get those files somehow

Edit: Possibly this should be in the internal hardware section. Please feel free to move mods

Edited by dweano, 16 April 2013 - 01:42 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 BrianMac1964

BrianMac1964

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:05 PM

Posted 16 April 2013 - 03:22 PM

Your local computer store should carry IDE/SATA to USB adapter for about $20 or so. If the HDD isn't physically damaged, it should be recognized as a drive and you can drag and drop from there.

#3 dweano

dweano
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2013 - 06:06 PM

That IDE/Sata to usb adapter is what they call an enclosure? Or just a straight up adapter? Basically I gotta take it apart and determine if my drive is IDE or Sata correct?

#4 dweano

dweano
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2013 - 06:10 PM

Also when I am looking around it looks like there is different sizes of SATA, 2.5, 3.5 9mm slim, etc. How do I determine that? Straight up measurement I guess?

#5 BrianMac1964

BrianMac1964

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2013 - 07:37 AM

No it isn't an enclosure, it is strictly an adapter designed for recovery operations such as this. As far as size goes, 2.5 will be a laptop HDD, and 3.5 will be a desktop HDD. What you really need to look at is the connection. Generally depending on age as to whether it is IDE or SATA. Regardless, the adapter will have plug ins for all of those. Take a look here http://www.amazon.com/Drive-Adapter-Converter-Optical-External/dp/B001OORMVQ/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1366202143&sr=8-3&keywords=hard+drive+to+usb+adapter for an example from Amazon.

Edited by BrianMac1964, 17 April 2013 - 07:38 AM.

#6 dweano

dweano
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2013 - 11:14 AM

Ah thanks. That makes sense. I am going to town today and I will see what I can get. This or an enclosure should do the trick right?

#7 BrianMac1964

BrianMac1964

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2013 - 11:47 AM

Yes, either will work for your purposes, but the enclosures are more of a permanent storage device whereas the adapter is a tool for recovering data.

#8 dweano

dweano
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2013 - 01:49 AM

I got the stuff. Fired it up. Device driver failed. The hard drive just makes clicking noises. Like a bicycle wheel going around slowly and hitting a flap of paper over couple seconds

#9 dweano

dweano
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2013 - 01:53 AM

Says device cannot start. I can hear the hard drive turning but its like something is moving and can't

#10 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,434 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:05 AM

Posted 20 April 2013 - 02:15 AM

I got the stuff. Fired it up. Device driver failed. The hard drive just makes clicking noises. Like a bicycle wheel going around slowly and hitting a flap of paper over couple seconds

A hard drive that just makes clicking noises is destined for the bin unfortunately...

Top 5 things that never get done:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users